Chapter 27

"Wynter..."

There it was my world once again about to come crashing back to reality. One minute Aspen was hot the next cold.

I sighed, knowing what was about to happen. Before he could even start uttering the next word, I shifted out and up from the bed, grabbing my clothes in the process and hurriedly putting them on.

"No need to say it Aspen I get it," I stated coldly.

He frowned. Quickly, he followed suit and got up. Confusion masked his face, the emotion not quite suiting his personality. Then again, anything looked good on him.

"No, you have the wrong idea."

"And what exactly is that?"

"I, uh, I want you to stay with me tonight," he said, scratching a spot on his vulnerable head.

Instead of making me feel comfortable, that statement just made the rage fume like a fire within me.

"Listen," I began, trying to keep my emotion in check, "as much as I want to I don't think its best. You and I both know we're a recipe for disaster. I'm tired of playing this see-saw with you. I like you, Aspen. And that's exactly why this is hurting me more than ever. You're so incredibly selfish. You use me for your fun and then leave me hanging dry. I'm so fucking tired of it."

"I killed my girlfriend." He blurted out as if my string of words had actually been unspoken.

My heart thudded deep within my ribcage as my fear grew wild.

"What do you mean Aspen?" I tried my best to not let it show, but as I took two hesitant steps back, my legs trembled.

He reached out as if his words finally came to dawn, "No not in the sense you think. I -I...I got into an accident."

He sighed as if saying his truth had hurt him more than anything. Plopping back down onto the bed, he ran his hands through his disheveled hair and pointed his head to the floor.

"It was last year August," He started, not making eye contact, "We had gone to a party, celebrating the win of another casino. Luca, Liz, and I decided to go get wasted by some guy we knew and heard was having a rave. I drove that night."

I held my breath.

"Luca took shot after shot and every time he took one he forced me to take one too. Liz hadn't been drinking that night and as much as I begged her to join in she refused. She was always an adamant soul. Kept me grounded. I loved her for that."

He paused as if reminiscing on this girl whom I never even knew existed. Jealousy rose within me which was so inappropriate that I immediately felt bad.

"Anyway, after the party she begged me to drive. She was so worried that I was far gone that I couldn't even turn on the car. I kept refusing saying I was fine. She knew how arrogant I was that her trying to fight me was a losing battle. She trusted me enough even when I was drunk completely out of my mind. I was responsible for two lives that night. And well I'm sure you gathered one died."

He scoffed, the hurt behind his voice ever-present, "Her parents ordered an autopsy. They didn't understand how Luca lived but she died. They obviously couldn't come to terms that I had killed their daughter. We all were wearing our seatbelts that night, but she was in the passenger seat and Luca was in the back. Turns out the autopsy came back as head trauma from a high-velocity impact. I hit a god damn pole. The shitty part was that we also had to hear the news from the autopsy that she was three months pregnant."

My jaw went slack as his words processed through my mind. I noticed his lip trembling and it took all of me not to go over to him and console him.

A long span of silence passed before he wiped away the tears I couldn't make out in the dark. He turned his gaze towards me, the icy blueness of his eyes returning. Back to the Aspen I knew.