Chapter 11

"Your father and I have decided to go a little easier on you. You'll be going to your therapy sessions from Monday and this weekend you're allowed to go out. But only if it involves Aspen going with you." Meredith said exactly a week after the whole ordeal. And something about that just rubbed me the wrong way. She was not my mother.

"I'm pretty sure Aspen did not agree to this."

"He didn't at first but I told him he had to. It was the least he could do for your father being so hospitable to him and letting him stay here."

"Great," I muttered knowing I was not going to be agreeing to these terms. I haven't spoken to Aspen for the entire week and I knew he had no intention of talking to me. We've been avoiding each other. He probably because of his disgust with my life choices and me because of well, my shame.

I was planning to sneak out that night anyway but if I got the chance to feel less guilty and leave the house on my dad's own accord I would agree. Aspen could literally drop me off at the first bus stop and I would be on my way. That way we didn't have to be in each other's presence for too long. Because that just seemed to end in a disaster.

I got dressed in a cute crop top and my comfy boyfriend jeans. I was ready in an hour. I ran downstairs and sat by the couch where I could see the entranceway in case Aspen decided to pull a fast one on me and ditch me. My palms were clammy as I wiped them against my jeans. For what reason did I possibly have to feel nervous?

Ten minutes later Aspen strolled to the front door and was about to turn the knob before he hesitated as if he forgot something.

He sighed and looked behind him, "Wynter! I'm leaving."

A lump formed in the back of my throat as I took a moment to gather myself, my anxiety skyrocketing. Watching him standing there waiting for me, I couldn't help but admire him. He was dressed head to toe in black, his hair still damp, a black strand falling loosely against his forehead.

"I'm here.'' I managed to croak out, announcing my presence.

He looked me over once, not saying a word before leaving through the door. I figured I was meant to follow him so I did.

"Where are you going?" I asked Aspen, my phone in my hand ready to type to Lily where to meet and pick me up.

"The casino, where do you need a drop to?" The coldness in his voice was hard to miss. I bit on my lower lip feeling like this was a mistake.

"It's okay, Lily will pick me up there, I already texted her," I said while clicking 'send' on the message and slipping my phone back into the back of my jeans' pocket.

He hopped on his motorcycle, facing forward and away from me, and offered the helmet behind him, still not looking in my direction as he revved up the engine. I took the helmet knowing that was his way of an invitation and clasped the buckle securely on my head. Hesitantly, I got onto the seat, holding my hands awkwardly against my chest, trying my hardest not to touch him.

I heard him sigh loudly over the roar of the engine. He finally turned his head to face me looking equally annoyed as mine. "Just hold on to me Wynter, there's no time for games."

I rolled my eyes, hating that he could belittle me and get under my skin so easily. But reluctantly I complied, wrapping my hands around his broad waist, the smell of his musk engulfing my nose.

I don't think I'd ever get accustomed to being on the back of a motorcycle. The feeling was exhilarating. Like an adrenaline rush that makes you feel alive but fears your life at the same time. It was something I could easily see myself getting addicted to.

Part of me wished that the drive would never end. And that I'd hold onto Aspen, breathing in the cool wind mixed with his intoxicating smell, and ride until the day turned to night. But of course, that would never happen and as much as he smelled okay (slightly nice), I disliked him too much.

Before I knew it we entered the town, and five minutes later pulled up to the corner outside what I assumed was the casino. He kicked down the stand and turned off the engine. I pulled off the helmet, handing it back to him.

"Thanks," I mumbled reluctantly. And when I say reluctantly, I rather at that moment have licked sandpaper.

He grunted in response and pulled out his phone, standing on the curbside next to me.

"You can go ahead, you know, Lily should be here soon." I pulled out my phone, checking to see if there were any missed calls. Honestly having Aspen there just made me feel a little like he was an annoyed parent waiting for their child to safely reach for a playdate.

He didn't respond or move for that matter and remained engrossed in something in his phone, or maybe pretending to be.

His head was leaning down, a strand of his black hair falling into his face but he didn't seem to notice or care. A line formed between his eyebrows and I guessed whatever held his attention wasn't something that he was keen about.

By the grace of God, my phone buzzed as I saw Lily's familiar convertible approach from down the street. She pulled to the side a few feet down, finding the only available spot with her indicator on.

"Look she's there," I said, already turning towards that direction. "Well thanks again."

I shouldn't have expected a response but part of me had hoped at least. Aspen without saying another word or breaking his concentration on his phone turned away from me and walked towards the casino. One hand was holding his phone, the other one perched into the pocket of his black skinny jeans.

Whatever. I made my way down the street and opened the passenger door to Lily's car as the engine shut off.

"What the-"

"So I had an idea..." Lily cut me off, her hand devilishly toying on the key in the ignition.

"I don't even want to hear it," I said, knowing whatever plan Lily had conjured would only end up a disaster that I would surely not want a part of.

"Why don't we go do some detective sleuthing and spy on said bad boy?" Excitement gleamed in her mischievous eyes.

"No way, I was thinking we could go get a coffee," I told her.

She looked at me in disbelief, "Is that your idea of fun?"

"Well, it beats your idea by a mile. I told you over the phone Aspen and I aren't really on speaking terms. I will feel so humiliated if he sees us and thinks I'm following him."

"Oh please," she waves one of her hands in front of her, "he would love nothing better."

"I said no Lily." For once I was standing my ground.

With pleading eyes, she watches me with her hands pressed together.

"Don't make me beg," she whined, "I need some excitement in my life. We'll just see who exactly he's meeting up with, like, he won't even see us. I promise."

"I really don't think that's a good idea, like what if he catches us snooping on him. He'd never let it go," I began as her face dropped. She sighed, looking towards her lap. Of course, she was guilt-tripping me. Part of me knew I never had the choice, she was the one driving and I had no other way home.

"Okay fine." A squeal comes out of her as I changed my mind. Hopping out of her seat and through the door, I took a deep breath and followed suit.