Chapter 13

I surveyed the area for Aspen, hating myself for doing it, but curious. It was like searching for a needle in a haystack, no way was I going to see him in the mass of people unless he passed right in front of me.

"I've gambled a lot in my life but metaphorically. Never in a casino or for money," I joked, not realizing how much I really meant by that, "I don't really see the point in all of this. The odds are never really in your favor. Statistically, you'd probably have a 0.05% chance of winning anything versus losing. These casinos are here just to take overly eager people's money."

"Ouch," He replied, feigning hurt, "sounds like I did you an injustice getting you in."

"Oh no sorry, I didn't mean to imply anything, to each their own I guess."

"It's okay, I'm pretty sure if you insulted me right here I'd still stick around. Not always do pretty ladies as you come by."

Old me would have blushed at the pickup line. New me gagged internally. The awkward feeling was starting to cocoon me.

"So what really brought you into here?" He pondered.

I wasn't going to tell this stranger the truth, he would have probably thought I had a few loose screws or was some crazy stalker ex-girlfriend. Plus, I wasn't interested in small talk with men who just wanted one thing, three letters...To add to that, I really felt out of place, and the quicker we found what Aspen, the quicker I could leave.

"Just wanted to see what it was like," I rested my glass down on the counter and stood up from the barstool, "any way we should get going, thank you so much for saving us out there. I don't know how to repay you."

"Repay me by staying and having a few more drinks, happy hour is starting soon and I'm meeting some associates for a bit. You lovely ladies can join us."

"Sure," Lily said at the same time I said, "We can't."

"Have somewhere to be?... You just got here? Unless you girls are serious gamblers that are going to surprise us all and win the golden jackpot?" He joked, a wicked gleam circling his hazelnut eyes. They swirled with warmth and every motion he conveyed was so inviting-not to me though. Shame honestly.

"Uh well..."

"We came to spy on Wynter's new housemate," Lily began to slur her words. Wait, was she on her second drink already?

"Lily," I snapped, suddenly feeling very embarrassed, "I need to get you home."

"Please ignore her, she's clearly drunk," I then said to him, avoiding eye contact.

"Housemate?"

"Like I said, long story." I was getting agitated. At that point screw spying on Aspen. I didn't care enough as to what he had business in a casino. For all, I knew he had a gambling addiction and nothing further. I just wanted to leave before Lily could say any more discriminating facts about me, I was good at screwing up my life alone already.

"Listen, what can I do to get you to stay?" He asked. I sighed looking at him once again. The day was winding down and I was starting to get aggravated "Take a gamble on this part of your life, Wynter. I want to get to know you. Just half an hour more and if you're still not enjoying yourself you're free to never come back and never see my face again."

He was persuasive and I found myself contemplating it. I nibbled at my lip, weighing the pros and cons. Pros: I could sleep on my bed not worrying about anything. Cons: everything.

"Fine, but we're leaving in thirty minutes," I sighed, only for Lily's benefit. I hadn't seen my friend since Wynter's break and I really did miss her. Maybe I wasn't ready to finish the day just yet.

Luca gave me a half-smile as he led us through the crowd.

We followed him across the floor area onto the other side of the building to a lounge area. All the while I surveyed the room for Aspen and cursed myself for caring this much. I just wanted to know if he was here. Technically, he waaaas my responsibility. Meredith would more than likely kill me for losing him. Or him for losing me since I was technically still under house arrest.

There were clusters of plush, black chairs surrounding each of the severally dispersed glass tables. They were all spaced out a good distance from each other with tall separators between for privacy or intimacy. While we passed each cluster I noticed most of the occupants looked very well off, exuding money. Their eyes lingered on us and it took me several deep breaths to calm my anxiety about how I was dressed. For once I wish I didn't have the stay-home-all-day look.

We approached a group of people in the corner booth, bigger than most of the clusters of chairs we had passed. I surveyed the faces that were already sitting down and gulped as my gaze paused on one. He stared right back at me, a knowing smile on his face. Aspen had one foot resting on the opposite knee as he sipped on what looked like a glass of whiskey. He didn't break eye contact once. It was a weird picture to see. There were six guys other than him all dressed in what looked like costly business attire while Aspen was still in his combat boots, jeans, and a black V-neck. But for some reason, he didn't look out of place. He oozed the most arrogance out of them all. He was the one if your eyes strayed would fall onto.

"Good evening gentlemen," Luca greeted them, causing me to break the already too long eye contact with Aspen, "these are some friends I met and they'd be joining us. Wynter and Lily."

He pointed at each of us as he said our names. I thought I felt out of place before at the bar but standing in front of these men, plus Aspen, wearing what I was made me feel small.

"Helloooo," Lily slurred as she looked at the new faces. I prayed she wouldn't say anything further but Lily never failed to disappoint.

"Aspen? Oh, Aspen. Loooook Wynter, we found him, " She flung her hands towards him almost tripping in the process as she took a seat.

I reminded myself that when we left I was going to strangle the living daylight out of her. Nothing could have been more embarrassing at that moment.

"Oh, you guys know each other?" Luca asked, flicking his gaze between Aspen and me.

"You could say that," Aspen said, still staring at me. I cringed. He looked slightly annoyed and I knew I was going to hear it from him later.

"Yessss, this is Wynter's housemate Luuuca," Lilly said too eagerly. Correction, this was the most embarrassing moment of my life.

Realization registered on Luca's face as he watched me with raised eyebrows. I averted my eyes to anywhere other than the persons placed around the table as I took a seat, my cheeks were flaming hot. The room felt too hot. I wished it would swallow me up, though. I needed a drink and I didn't mean a non-alcoholic one.

"So how's it going?" I looked like a ginger-haired guy with a strong Turkish accent asked Luca. He took the last available seat by me and I couldn't help but notice he was close enough to me that his arm was brushing against mine.

"It's great, business is booming as you can see. I'm expecting to open another casino across in New York," Luca replied. Another casino? Lily almost read my mind as she asked him, "you own this place?"

Luca smirked and nodded, "this is one of them, I-"

Aspen cut him off, "Why are you here, Wynter?"