Chapter 29

"Three shots for the birthday girl!" Lily stretched over the bar counter and pointed a peace sign to the bartender who just looked in disbelief but still got to work making the concoctions. We had stopped at the local bar in the neighboring city. Bellbottoms was what it was called which didn't seem to suit its rugged aesthetic. 

As we had entered, I didn't recognize a single familiar face which didn't bother me much. I had only expected to spend my birthday with my two favorite people anyway. It just so happened we were the only ones dressed up for the holiday anyway. 

"Cheers to you, you old fart!" Chase shouted as we all clinked our glasses together, the contents spilling on my hand only slightly. I chugged back the fluid and cringed. "Gross."

"Let's dance!" Lilly stated and pulled me into the middle of the open area. She began swaying her hips in time with the rhythm as the occupants of the bar stared. Nobody else was dancing which made me feel socially aware and awkward. 

"C'mon Wyn, live a little." Lily giggled as she grabbed my arms and fayed movements with them. I rolled my eyes but eventually gave in as I let my body move on its own. 

I glanced back at Chase who was propped up against the bar, sipping on his drink and smiling at us. Losing myself to the music and time, it was only until beads of sweat dripped down my forehead and Chase handed me a new drink that I realized the majority of the room had joined in.  

I paused only for a minute to drink and calm my accelerated breath before I felt a hand grab my backside firmly. I jumped, immediately moving away and turning around to the source. 

"Take a dance with me sweet thing," a guy at least ten years older, with a musty beard and little to no hair on his head said to me. 

I screwed up my face, wanting him to see it before I declined. 

"She's taken!" Lily interjected and pulled me away towards the exit. Chase followed suit, I assumed he saw what happened.

"Let's go. We're going to be late anyway," She mostly spoke to Chase as we headed back to his car.

"Late for what?" I asked, my curiosity peaked. 

"Oh, you'll see." A devious smile spread across her innocent face, the sharp fangs of her fake teeth surprisingly terrifying. 

We headed back in the same direction we came and ended back on the familiar roads of Chesterbrook. Outside the car window, I gazed at the full moon, enjoying its simplicity but beautiful soft glow. It wasn't long until we reached back to the windy road leading up to my house.

"Oh, the night's over?" I asked, trying to mask the disappointment in my voice. 

"Yea, we just figured you'd be shaken up from what that guy did back there," Chase said sheepishly as he avoided eye contact.

"Makes sense," I said, forcing a smile and getting out of the car. Chase turned off the engine and both him and Lily followed suit.

My eyes immediately went to the sleek black motorcycle parked up in its original spot and suddenly I didn't feel too disappointed anymore. Instead, hope took its place. 

"Well thanks for tonight, guys," I said as I unlocked the front door and pushed it open.

"SURPRISE!" A roar of voices coursed through the silent air causing my already unstable heart to go off in a frenzy.

The lights flicked on and so did the music as at least fifty people, almost unrecognizable behind their various Halloween costumes stood in front of us.