Chapter 9

Eli was sitting with her dad in the living room, her head in his lap as he carded his fingers through her hair, Spongebob was playing on tv. "Lapse of judgement, he's crazy to break up with you".

"No, it was the way he did it"

Boyd nodded, "Want some food?"

She nodded, "Can I come?"

"Get dressed".

Eli and Boyd stood in the McDonalds waiting line, Eli in sweatpants and an old band t-shirt. Her Ugg boots sat on her feet, tattered and worn. Their order was called, Boyd went to grab it while Eli stood next to him, holding the drink tray. "Alright, Scooby Doo when we get home?"

Eli nodded as he pulled out the parking lot, "How's Penny and Lucas?"

"Good, Lucas almost poked my eye out with his pen in math and Penny launched a dodgeball at his face during pe in retaliation".

He chuckled as he stopped for a red light, "How's Tatiana?"

"Good".

"The baby?"

"He's up all night".

"When can I meet him?"

"I don't know".

"Why are they staying at her friends house?"

"I don't know".

Eli looked out the window, sighing as they pulled into the driveway, she jumped out the car to escape the awkward situation.

Scooby Doo played on the tv as food wrappers lay scattered around, Eli asleep on the couch, Boyd on the phone to Tatiana, muttering quickly about something. His eldest daughter blissfully unaware of the argument happening between her father and step-mother.