Chapter 15

Three months, that's how long it took for Elizabeth to find time to reach out to her daughter and make her way to Delilah's house. The two sat in uncomfortable silence as Delilah sat in an armchair, cup of coffee in hand. "So... You two gonna talk, or?"

Delilah muttered, sipping her drink as she finished her sentence. Eli cocked a brow and looked at her mother, "Elizabeth can talk. I wanna listen".

Delilah sputtered, Elizabeth's eyes widened, "Elizabeth?"

"Your name, is it not?"

Elizabeth felt tears well up in her eyes. She had really messed things up, "Eli, I don't understand-".

"What? What is so hard to understand? That you're exactly like dad, always choosing your partner over your child. Or that you're partner sat there and told you to forget about me and have other kids because I'm fucked up?"

Elizabeth moved back slightly, like she had been hit, "I'm nothing like your father".

Eli scoffed and rolled her eyes. Delilah placed her coffee on the side table next to her chair,  "Okay! Let's calm down. Eli, help me with some snacks", Eli opened her mouth to protest but Delilah held up a finger, "Nah uh. Up".

Eli huffed and followed her godmother to the kitchen, "Why was I called in here?"

"Tone the 'tude down, young lady. No matter how much you despise her, she is still your mother. She made you, your her little crotch goblin.  And she's a person", Delilah chided, placing some chips in a small bowl, "Let her try".

Eli tried to listen to her mother, she truly did. But all she could see when she looked at her mother was betrayal, "I don't wanna listen anymore", Eli whispered as Elizabeth talked about Robbie.

The teen made her way to her room and flopped on her bed, waiting for her mother to leave.

As she backed out of the driveway Elizabeth knew she had messed up, but she was stuck. Choose her daughter, or the only man that could love her? Her rock, or the person who wanted to build a life with her?