chapter fifty five. accept you

February 1993

Dahlia smiles as she and Kayla sit on the grass. "So I was thinking for Valentine's Day we can have dinner. I can set something up," Kayla explains. "That is so sweet," Dahlia says placing a kiss on the girl's cheek. "And maybe we can have that first kiss we keep talking about," Kayla says as Dahlia nods.

February 1993

Dahlia and Alex sit at the park eating ice cream. "Can I taste yours?" Alex asks referring to her ice cream as she nods before holding the small paper bowl out to him. "I should've gotten strawberry," he says as she laughs. "I'll buy you another," she says as he nods. "Can we talk?" He asks as she nods. "I wanted to tell you this a long time ago. It's something serious about me and I was afraid that you wouldn't accept me," Alex explains. "I'll always accept you. Always," she says as he nods. "Okay. Just look away for a second," Alex says Dahlia frowns. "It's just, you have this weird thing where you look into my soul," he says as she looks away. "I, I like boys. Like, like like them," Alex explains. "Can I turn now?" Dahlia asks putting her ice cream down. "Yeah," Alex says as she faces him. "Come here," she says before pulling him into a hug as he rests his head in the crook of her neck. "Please don't tell anyone yet," Alex says as she nods. "I won't," she whispers holding him tighter.

March 1993

Dahlia pushes her black hair back as she and Reggie walk into the cafeteria. "I'm sorry I didn't come to school last week. I just felt sick," Dahlia explains as they sit down. "It's fine. I'm glad you feel better," he says as Dahlia looking around in her bag. "I bought you something," she says taking a bottle of Apple juice from her bag. "Aww, thanks. My favorite," Reggie says reaching to take it but Todd grabs it from Reggie's hand causing Dahlia to look up at the boy. Todd West, the biggest asshole in their school. "Give it back," she says annoyed. "Nope," Todd says as Dahlia gets up. "It's fine, Dahlia," Reggie says taking her hand but she pulls away. "This is the last time I'm going to ask you," she says standing in front of him before he opens the juice and pours it over Reggie's head. He turns to laugh but Dahlia's fist makes contact with his jaw. After throwing a few punches Reggie pulls the girl off of him as everyone watches the three.