Chapter Four~ Keefe

Foster didn't answer his question. Instead, she shifted her weight in her seat and turned to Dex, "I promise I won't tell Fitz anything," she said.

Keefe sighed. She totally likes him... he thought glumly. No matter how hard he tried, nothing seemed to work.

Then, he got an idea. This wasn't the real Fitz... so what if spending all this time with Sophie, Keefe could get her to like him instead?

It was a long shot, but he was willing to take it.

They all decided to meet at Keefe's house since Dex's parents would be less suspicious if he was going there.

When they reached Candleshade, Keefe's father met them at the door.

"Hi, Cassius!" Dex said happily and gave him a friendly hug. Surprisingly, he hugged him back.

Keefe felt Sophie's emotions change from annoyed (when she first saw him) to utterly shocked when Cassius smiled and said to her, "Nice to meet you Sophie. I've been hearing a lot about you today," his smile was genuine, not the greasy, arrogant smile he usually put on.

"H-hi Lord Cassius..." Foster stuttered.

His dad held up his hand. "Please, Cassius is fine,"

"Sorry," she mumbled.

"No reason to worry," Cassius assured her.

Now even Keefe was shocked. That was Alden Vacker's line! His dad was turning into Alden!

Cassius stepped aside and motioned for them to come in, but then stopped Keefe short. "I see why you like her," he whispered.

HOW DID HE KNOW THAT?!?!? His dad winked, put his arm around his son's shoulders, and led him inside. His eyes watered again from all the attention. Dex gave him a sympathetic look. Keefe didn't like that he now knew how horribly his real parents had treated him, considering how much Dex seemed to love Cassius and Gisela.

Keefe cleared his throat. "Well Dad, we're gonna head on upstairs," he said, slipping out from under his dad's arm.

Cassius rumpled Keefe's hair and said, "If you kids want some cinnacreame later, just ask," then he walked into the kitchen.

You kids...

Keefe looked at Sophie, and Sophie looked at him. They both seemed to have the same idea.

Keefe grabbed Dex by the arm and dragged him to the vortinator along with Sophie, who was a step behind them. "Ow!" Dex yelped when they reached it. "No need to get squeezy!"

Foster looked worried. Then Keefe remembered how much she hated the vortinator. "Hey," he whispered, "it's ok, I won't let you fall," They stepped onto the vortinator and Keefe slipped an arm around Sophie's waist to steady her when she jolted backward. She sucked in a breath and blushed as he caught her.

"Smooth buddy," Dex said under his breath.

Keefe blushed when he realized he wasn't being subtle.

When they reached the top Dex asked "Why did you guys look at each other funny when he said 'you kids'?"

Keefe and Sophie looked at each other and smiled. "Forkle," they said in unison.

"Who?" Dex asked

"The Forklenator is legendary. I'm not giving you any more details until you meet him," Keefe said, shooting Dex his famous smirk.

He huffed and said, "Well, how do you know him?"

"He's with the Black Swan," Sophie explained.