Chapter Sixteen~ Keefe

Fitz led Tam and Maruca out of the room. Keefe, Sophie, Dex, and Biana reappeared in the empty, quiet, library and just stood there in shock.

Keefe's whole body shook as Biana dropped to her knees and cried. Sophie looked like she was about to murder Fitz, while Dex just kept standing there wide-eyed. None of them knew what to do.

"He---he's not---he wouldn't---" Biana sobbed.

Sophie kneeled down and gave her a hug. "I'm so sorry."

"I-it could just be a misunderstanding!" she said, making her best attempt to protect her twin.

Keefe was still in a state of shock. He also didn't have the heart to tell her it wasn't. They saw it with their own eyes.

Fitz Vacker was working with the Neverseen...

Biana continued sobbing. Dex bent down to meet her eyes. "Hey," he said, "It's gonna be okay,"

Biana wiped her tear-stained eyes. "How could he?"

"People sometimes lose their way," he told her, "But it doesn't mean there isn't still good inside them,"

"He's right," Keefe whispered when he managed to find his voice. "I know first hand..."

His mind flashed with memories of his parents. They were so cruel to him but here they were so amazing. There was good inside of both of them, but it was just buried so deep they never found it...

Biana rubbed her eyes again and mumbled "Can I stay at Havenfield tonight, Sophie? I can't go home..."

"Of course," Sophie said.

Keefe desperately wanted to lighten the mood so he suggested that the whole group had a Havenfield sleepover.

It seemed to cheer Biana up a little...but when Keefe put a hand on her shoulder to tell her it would be okay, he was overwhelmed with all of Biana's emotions. Sadness, betrayal, anger...and...

"Why do you feel guilty?" Keefe asked, quickly pulling his hand back. Guilt was dangerous for elves.

She sniffled. "I...dunno..."

Dex's eyes filled with panic. He moved in front of her and took her hands. When he made sure she was looking at him, he told her "No guilt, okay? None of this is your fault."

A deep blush crept over Biana's tear-stained face. "Okay," she whispered.

The group made their way out of the library and Foster and Biana went to the bathroom so Biana could compose herself.

Keefe and Dex meandered through the halls to avoid going back to the cafeteria.

"Do you think adding Maruca was a good idea?"

Both boys stopped short. They peaked around the corner and saw Tam and Fitz talking quietly.

"Of course I do," Fitz said, "She's a Psionipath---we need her,"

"Okay, but don't we still have to keep our end of the deal?" Tam whispered.

"Yeah, if we want her to trust us...but it really wasn't even a deal..."

"She's just jealous that her cousin left her out of the Black Swan last time..." Tam said, "So can we trust her?"

"Please Tam," Fitz said, "People will do anything for revenge,"

Keefe's jaw fell so far to the floor he thought it was going to unhinge. Dex looked like he was gonna tackle Fitz and beat him senseless. Just before Dex could come out of hiding, Keefe grabbed his arm and pulled him in the other direction.

He dragged him all the way to the boy's bathroom with a hand over his mouth so Dex couldn't yell at him. Once in the bathroom, Keefe let him go.

"What was that?!" Dex shouted, "We could've got him!"

"We can't act reckless, Dex. This is serious," Keefe said.

Wow. He was starting to sound like Foster.

Dex huffed. "Sorry," he mumbled, "I'm just so mad at him! Doesn't he know what he's putting Biana through?!" he ripped both of his hands through his strawberry-blond and squeezed his eyes shut.

Keefe was mad at Fitz too. After all he went through fighting the Neverseen the first time?! And just to join them? Seriously?

Keefe and Dex parted ways when the bell rang, signaling the end of lunch. Keefe ditched--like usual--but in his ditching spot, he found Foster, sitting on the bench with her face in her hands.

"Foster?" Keefe said, sliding next to her on the bench's cushioned seat.

She looked up at him and her beautiful brown eyes were watery. "What are we going to do, Keefe?" she asked, putting her head back in her hands.

Keefe rubbed her back as she started to cry. "Hey," he said, "You're the Mysterious Miss F.! If anyone can figure out what to do, it's you. And plus, you have the hottest elf in the Lost Cities by your side!"

She gave a small chuckle when she looked up at him again. "And who's that?" she asked.

Keefe clutched his chest and pretended to be wounded as he flopped back onto the bench and cried "How could you insult me like that, Foster? It's obviously ME!" he sat back up and flashed his trademark smirk. "See? What did I tell ya?" he said after catching sight of the deep blush that was forming on her face.

Sophie laughed--a real laugh--and playfully shoved him. "You're the worst," she said.

"Foster, Foster, Foster," he sighed, "You have no respect for the King of Good-Hair Land! But I like you, so you get a pass." Wait! Had he really just said that?! Keefe blushed, hard, and stammered "I mean---I like you---but---uh-um--You're my friend, so you get a free pass!"

Great! Now he friend-zoned her! This was worse than watching Dex try to talk to Biana!

Sophie looked disappointed... and the emotions radiating off of her confirmed it.

Was she upset that he said that they were just friends?

Of course not! The second they get back to their universe, there'll be a whole Fitzphie reunion, and Sophie will forget all about him! Right?

There's no way someone like Sophie Foster would like someone like you... a voice in his head said, remember all of those times you've let her down?

"Keefe?" Sophie's sweet voice broke his thoughts.

Keefe shook his head and snapped out of his daze. "Yeah?"

"You okay?" she asked, her forehead wrinkled in concern.

Keefe smirked. "You're cute when you worry, Foster," he said, "But don't waste your time worrying about me,"

You're not worth it... the voice said.

"I'm always going to worry about you, Keefe," she said, giving his hand a squeeze.

Keefe's face warmed. "Thanks," he whispered. 

AAAWWWWWWW Sokeefe Fluff!!!! 

Sorry I haven't posted in a few days!! Things have been kinda hectic. (I know you're probably thinking "that's what they all say," but it's true) XD

I'm not sure what else to say about this chapter. I've been working on it for a while and I really want to post it so this a/n is gonna be brief lol 

Question: What would you do? Be like Dex and confront Fitz right then and there? Or like Keefe and wait for an actual plan? (I don't know right now! I guess you have to be in the heat of the moment to choose) 

Love y'all!