Chapter 24: Comforting

Elsa's P.O.V

“Lung cancer...”

“W-what?”

 “You heard me. My dad got a lung cancer... Some local found him unconcious on the sidewalk, they called the 911 and here we are.” Hiccup looked at his dad with that sad look that I’ve never seen in my entire life. I patted his back to comfort him, somehow I found myself shed a tear or two.

“Everything will be alright, Hiccup. Yo-your dad will be fine.” Anna said, in a cracked voice. “Yeah, remember that all of us are here for us, we can solve this together—“

 “There’s no solving in here...” Hiccup cut me off, even though he’s... right.

 Cancer had been one of them most painful way to die on earth, and having a cancer on your lungs certainly won’t be enjoyable. Seeing many news about people died because of cancer, and few of them survived, I couldn’t help but to feel that Hiccup was right. There’s no solving in here. Winning a fight against cancer only has small chances, or even none.

I hugged Hiccup to comfort him again, his expression seemed to be so hurt that I couldn’t stand watching it, so I buried my face on his back. Anna just kept patting Hiccup to comfort him.

“H-hey Winters...” I looked up and saw Hiccup’s father awake, his voice was cracking.

“M-Mr. Haddock!...”

 We all walked towards Hiccup’s father. I could see his hair getting white, and mostly already lost. His face described pretty much everything he’s currently suffering.

“T-thank you for coming you two... H-have you two been here all the time?”

“No, Mr. Haddock. We’ve just been here...” Anna replied, giving that sympathy smile on her lips. Hiccup leaned his hand and grabbed his father’s hand, giving that look on his face that I couldn’t stand. “Mr. Haddock... I’m so sorry...” I said, kneeling down in front of him. “Oh so you’ve heard from Hiccup? It’s okay, you don’t have to feel sorry.” Mr. Haddock said as he fixed his Viking beard, which was almost white. “How can we not? You must can’t stand this, we all know...” I said, looking down.

“The only thing that I couldn’t stand are your sad faces... Cheer up—“

Mr. Haddock suddenly got choked, his breath went faster. His hand was pushing down his chest, trying to make the air travel down to his lungs properly. I myself, could only yell,

“NURSE!!”

Hiccup went both confused and panicked, one of the worst combination you could ever get in your life. Anna rushed herself outside in order to find any doctor or nurse, the only thing I did was to look at the heart beat sensor. It showed that the heartbeat was getting weaker and weaker.

“DAD! NO! DAD!!”

I placed my hands on Hiccup’s shoulder to calm him, but it was a useless thing to do. I myself, couldn’t calm myself. Tears flooded down my cheek, the only words that escaped my throat were, “please don’t... no...”. I repeated that sentence all the time until Anna showed up with a doctor and a nurse.

The doctor told us to leave at once. When I was about to leave, I noticed that Hiccup didn’t move an inch from his place.

“Hiccup, we have to leave...”

Hiccup sighed down in defeat,  and walked outside with me.

 We all remained stood outside, hearing Hiccup’s father being choked by his cancer. It was one of the most painful voice to be heard, so I covered my ears with my hands. It wasn’t just the choking voice that made me hurt, it was the feels as well. Mr. Haddock was never my father, but I somehow joined the sad moment. Crazy, right?!