Twenty-Eight

Million of thoughts raced through Sophie's mind.

What does Alden mean 'Alvar is missing?'

She glittered into the campus of Foxfire.

She quickly, with her parents, ran to the Healing Center for a few reasons.

First of all, was Fitz okay?

Second of all, she did not just hear someone saying that Alvar, ALVAR OF ALL PEOPLE, was missing.

And third of all, she really, really hoped that her hand was okay. Meaning that it hurt unbearable and she just started to notice.

What in the world was in the black orbs? What if it's poisoned? What if I'LL DIE?

Sophie took a few deep breaths and walked slower.

I've tried to save the world before. I've almost died a million times! I'll be fine. And what could a Shade put in a black orb? The girl Umber couldn't have put poison in it.

Taking a deep breath, she knocked on the Healing Center door. Elwin's muffled voice said, "Come in!"

Sophie opened the door after giving her parents a brave face.

"Hi... Elwin." Sophie greeted.

"Don't 'hi' me! OH MY GOODNESS YOU HAVE A BLACK ORB BRUISE TOO! Get over here, little lady." Elwin screeched at her.

Sophie stared at him while she made her way over to Elwin's desk.

"Sorry. Treating Fitz's wound was a nightmare. What happened?" Elwin asked.

"Oh, well, we went to a meeting, almost died, all the regular stuff, I guess." Sophie replied.

While Elwin was wiping weird lotions and creams and things on her hand, she was thinking about a lot of things.

How did Alvar escape? There were at least ten million guards around his house.

How will Fitz react? He already wasn't okay with Alvar living on Everglen. Please don't let him be mad.

What is really inside those orbs? Will it have an impact? A big one? A small one?

"We'll have to call Lady Cadence." Elwin said.

"Lady Cadence? Why her?" Sophie asked, confused.

"She'll be some help here." Elwin said, going back to work on her hand.

They chatted until Biana came rushing in. "Are you okay- wait, what's wrong with my brother?" She asked, pointing to the unconscious state of Fitz.

"I'm doing some tests right now. I'm not sure what was I. Those black orbs sure were something, but my guess is that it has something to do with the ogres."

"Ogres? Even if these black orbs were from ogres, how would a Shade shoot these? And how would the Neverseen have ogre things?" Sophie asked, more confused now than ever.

"All of these could be answered by Lady Cadence because she is one of the only elves that has a close relationship with the ogres. I'll leave you here to rest."

"How long will I be trapped in this place?" Sophie asked dramatically.

"Nice to see you're fond of me. Probably two weeks should do the trick." Elwin replied casually.

"Okay... wait what? Two weeks?" Sophie asked, befuddled.

"You should get some rest. I'll wake you up when Lady Cadence arrives."

Somehow, Sophie felt uncomfortable with Lady Cadence coming to check at all. She did have a close connection with the ogres, and, even though she'd helped Sophie and her friends a whole bunch, Lady Cadence might have been the one to give the Neverseen the ogre chemicals. There was a possibility that the chemicals were not ogre, but the biggest chances were ogrish chemicals, Elwin had said.

Snapping Sophie out of her mental rant, Keefe walked in the Healing Center.

"Hey, Foster." Keefe greeted.

"Hi... why are you here?" Sophie asked.

"I'm totally not checking up on you and the Fitzter. Nope, I'm actually looking forward to a chat with Elwin." Keefe said sarcastically.

"How are you feeling?" Elwin asked and added, "Sophie," before Keefe told Elwin how he was doing.

"I feel weird that I'm at school when the school's on hiatus." Sophie offered.

"At least you don't have homework!" Biana said.

"I'm not sure that's the actual answer he wants," Keefe said, "but good job, Foster."

"How are you actually feeling?"

"My hand just hurts, but I'm okay." Sophie replied.

There was a knock on the door. "I guess Lady Cadence is here," Elwin said, making his way to the door.

He opened the door.

And he found Alvar standing there with Dex in a choke's hold.

____________

MWAHAHAAHAHAHAHA! Yes, I ended the chapter like that. Yes, I'm evil. No, I don't really feel bad about it.

Thanks for reading all the way this far.

Please vote, comment, and share! Make sure to check out my other book, We the Weirdos.

Thanks to all of you that have voted and gave hope to this book. I wouldn't have gotten this far without you guys.

And we're at 3.33k reads! Thanks. To. Every. Single. One. Of. You. Guys.

Have a nice day and please vote and comment!

Somerandomhuman88