Forty-Seven

Sophie opened her eyes. She hadn't slept the whole night because she was so worried about her dad.

She remembered what happened the day before - she and her bodyguards had narrow down the places Grady could be. They all agreed that they were NOT in the Forbidden Cities.

He was down there for a top-secret mission that even Sophie couldn't know about.

She yawned. She got up from her bed, and had a feeling that the day was going to get a whole lot worse in a matter of minutes.

And it did.
_______

"What do you mean? You're saying he's unfindable? He's just... lost?" Sophie asked incredulously, angered so much she didn't have time to be worried.

"No, Sophie, I'm not saying he's un- whatever you said. I'm just saying that there's no way we can find him." Oralie said. Yep, even the Councillors were in on this. It was that bad, that the Councillors had to help.

Edaline stayed quiet, looking out the windows and at the verminion outside.

"How did you guys find out that they were lost anyway? Maybe.. they're on a detour, or maybe they decided to stop. Or maybe they're just taking another route." Sophie said thoughtfully.

"Maybe we could track them because someone's gotta know where they are. It's not too secret, right?" Keefe chuckled nervously.

"Maybe you hit your head when you were unconscious, because it is top secret, dummy!" Biana said.

"Just sayin.' Foster can't be the only one that gets to brainstorm." Keefe replied.

"What's underground?" Keefe asked. "Maybe we could blow stuff up."

"Your ideas suck. The only thing we're going to blow up is your brain. Have you been living under a rock your whole life? We all know what's underground." Biana replied, annoyed. No one else was listening to the conversation, but thinking of ways to help one of the most important elves.

"If I loved under a rock my whole life, I would actually know what was underground," Keefe said, rolling his eyes, "and if you know what's underground, then what is underground?"

Biana crossed her arms and ignored Keefe. Sophie thought, Weeell,.. if Biana doesn't reply, that may mean she doesn't know what's underground.

"Underground, there are many rocks and minerals," Councillor Terik said. With the whole Council, Sophie's friends and their parents, the house was getting a little crowded. And loud. But mostly crowded.

"Many people don't know, there is a lot of metal underground. Humans litter - I think that's what it's called - and they just don't know that trash cans exist. Well, some of them. And more grass grows on top of it before water stabilizes it into the ground. It's a matter of time before the chunk of metal is buried into the ground and nowhere to be found." Terik said.

"That's it!" Sophie said.

"What's it?" Every. Single. Person asked.

"They're underground - we could use a metal detector!"

A chorus of 'what's that?' filled the room.

"It's a device that can detect metal underground. It's a human device. We'll have to get one from a Forbidden City." Sophie said.

"For one, Miss Foster, the Forbidden Cities are forbidden for a reason," Councillor Emery said, "and for two, there are millions of pieces of metal underground."

"But my dad is important to me! Not just important to me, but you as well, all of you! It's important. Tiergan, didn't you say it was the hero-ly thing to do to help the world in any way no matter the cost?" Sophie argued.

Edaline nodded, still silent as ever.

"Sophie, I wish I could help you. I really wish I could. But I can't disobey the Council - if they don't allow it, they don't allow it. And what if the metal detectors don't work? Finding your friend was definite - we had a tracker. But this? It might just be giving us false hope." Tiergan replied.

Sophie shook her head. No. She wasn't going to give up so easily.

"I'm sorry. We can't find a way to help Grady. We have an important meeting to attend. I apologize, I hope you have a nice day." And with that, the Councillors left without a word.

They seriously want Sophie to have a nice day after finding out you can't save your dad in any way possible? Not happening.

"So... what do we do?" Dex asked, "I can help you find a metal detector - I'm sure Tinker has some of those in her workshop - I saw them. She's told me about them, and they're cool and waaaay more advanced then the human ones." Dex said, smiling.

"Looks like someone's got a girlfriend," Keefe snickered.

Dex ignored him.

"We're not going to give up. Wow, that sounded so much better in my head. We can't just stop - even if Grady calls me 'That Boy' behind my back, and yes, I know about it, he's still a pretty nice guy. Foster's not going to give up. I can feel it from here. Maybe you should get a shirt that says 'Keefe can feel me so well' or something." Keefe said.

"Yeah, no, I'm not giving up. After a hard year like this - I can't lose anyone else. I'm going to find him."

If the Councillors won't give her a path to go on to find Grady...

She'll have to make one herself.
__________

Another nice ended chapter! Woohoo!

I'm actually continuing this book for one reason - it's because I'm trying to get a perfect Sokeefe moment in this book - and I'm sure you guys will love it. But I need to get all the dangerous stuff out of the way. So it'll be at the end, it'll be here in a week or so.

Thanks for reading! I'm actually not keeping track of how many words I have in this book anymore. I know by the time this book is finished it'll have 50,000 words. And also it's too much effort.

Please vote, comment, and share if you liked this chapter!

Have a great day!

Somerandomhuman88