Chapter 15

Chapter 15

"So ikaw si Jemima? Arsen told many things about you."

Wearing her black off-shoulder dress, her hair damped down and her eyebrow arched, I suddenly wanted to back off. It's Arsen's tita, naramdaman ko ang paghigpit ng kamay ni Arsen sa'kin. Sumulyap ako sa kanya at nguniti bago ibalik ang aking paningin sa kanyang tita.

I nodded at her and smiled. "Opo, ako si Jemima—"

Hindi niya hinayaang matapos ko ang aking sasabihin as her lips formed a thin line.

"You don't look that attractive, I'm afraid that Arsen's life would go downhill—" nanlamig ako sa sinabi ng kanyang tita at yumuko na lang. I saw how Mum's eyes wanted to kill Arsen's tita but then his Mommy spoke, making her cut her sentence we well.

"Veronica! I like her for my son." Her serious tone thundered the floor. I breath in as I smiled at then, assuring that I am okay. As the dinner went on and Mum and Arsen's mommy was doing well, his tita's blood is still boiling when our eyes meet accidentally, making me cold inside. I hope she can accept me one day, I wanted to be accepted by her as well, she is still part of their family.

We took pictures before heading home. Hinalikan ako ni Arsen sa'king labi before parting ways. Mum's eyes narrowed at me as my cheeks turned hot and Lia teasing me about him.

"Don't worry darling. I don't care if hindi ka tatanggapin ni Veronica na yun. At least the mother of the man you love, likes you." She caresses my cheek before shutting the door, making a creak sound.

I was moving back and forth on my bed until I suddenly wanted to drink milk, but on my way to the kitchen, my feet stopped in front of the room of Lia. My lips formed a thin line when I heard Mum's voice inside, it may sound as a whisper but I find myself, my ear stuck on the door, wanting to hear their conversation for an unknown reason. My curiosity is killing me.

"But Mum! Ate Mima needs to know the truth then!" Kumunot ang noo ko dahil sa narinig ko mula sa aking kapatid. I was getting more curious and gently opened the door, making no sound at all. And there I saw my sister in her pj's, her tears were all over her face and was sobbing in front of our Mum.

Mum's forefinger went straight to Lia's mouth, making her shut. "Keep your voice down Juliana! I want your sister safe. Telling her the truth may put her in harm, do you want that?" What is the truth Mum? Keeping me safe? Who would want to harm me in this world? I don't even know a lot of people who can do it.

"Is that the reason why our aunts and uncles doesn't want her? Mum, ate Mima have rights to know that truth! How could you hide this to her!" My sister again shouted, my mouth was left open by her screams about me, about secrets that they are hiding from me.