fourty

Gemma gazed at a building, her hands at her sides as we stopped walking. Squinting, her eyes traveled up the building as the sun hit her eyes, just before lowering her sunnies to shield them.

"This one's beautiful," She noted. There were flowers and miniature gardens pouring out from the balconies and window ledges. The exterior was an old and nearly crumbly red brick, but it added a lot of character. "Pricey, I bet."

I took a look at our surroundings, figuring the location played a part as well. "You've got a few shops and restaurants along the street, which isn't too out of the ordinary," I shrugged, there were a few shops and pubs on my street as well. "Though, you'd be much closer to all the attractions, which might add to the price."

"Perhaps just a photo will do for now, then." Gemma laughed, nodding.

Gemma had called earlier because she'd be in the city for work, and I couldn't miss an opportunity to spend time with her after what felt like forever apart. We'd decided to just stroll around for a while until she'd have to leave back home, and somehow ended up scouting locations for her future move.

"And, anyway, I suppose I should wait until Michal can come out and have a say. I worry i'll fall in love with a place he'd hate." She sighed "How long did it take you to agree on a flat?"

"Ehh," I shrugged. "It took a couple tries. Harry wanted a proper house for a while, but it was out of budget, and I wanted to live by the sea, but it would be too far from our work. We explored both options for a bit, but found ourselves moving into my current flat after being more realistic." I explained, remembering the process vividly.

Gemma nodded, furrowing her eyebrows after a few moments, "Have you heard from him lately?"

Confused, I nodded. I'd spoken to him on the phone a few hours prior, and had spent a bit of time with him throughout the week.

"Just this morning—why?"

We both wore the same face of confusion, now. She shook her head, shrugging.

"We haven't spoken in a while. A week or two, I think. I just wonder if he's upset with me for whatever reason." She started, "But, he's alright, then?"

"Oh?" I started. I hadn't known of any reason he'd be upset, or why he wouldn't be speaking to her. "That's odd. He's fine, as far as I know. I could ask him, if you'd like?" I offered.

"Have him call me, if he's up for it." She nodded.

We walked around a while longer, stopping for lunch and one-too-many martinis before parting ways. It was nice catching up, as always, but proved a bit difficult to hold back from filling her in on one of the major changes since we'd last spoke.

I walked up the steps to Harry's building and couldn't help the smile on my face as the door opened when he came down to walk me up.

"Hi!" I called out, speeding my pace to meet him.

I pushed into him with an embrace, losing my balance a bit and forcing us into the door as he grabbed ahold of me.

"Hi, tipsy." He laughed, presumably able to smell the gin on my breath. "Careful, there." He grabbed my hand as I pulled away from him, then pulled me in steadily for a kiss.

"Sorry, I was convinced to order another martini after I had finished my first." I explained briefly.

Harry furrowed his eyebrows, the two of us making way down the small hall to his door.

"Who are you out having drinks with? Should I be jealous?" He joked, settling back into his position on his settee, picking up the notepad beside him.

"I was with Gemma— didn't you get my message?" I asked, remembering I'd texted him that I was out with Gemma and would be stopping by later than planned. I guess that explained the confusion when I'd called hours later to tell him I was on my way over.