twenty

I met with Gemma and Michal after I got off work, making a quick stop at my flat to change into something a bit nicer.

We were near Westminster, the more touristy part of the city. It was generally an area I tried to avoid, but it was usually quite fun, nonetheless.

"Is Mason on his way?" Gemma asked after we greeted each other in front of our cars.

"Uh, no— actually," I paused, pulling the loose strands of hair from my face as the wind blew it forward. "I invited Harry."

"Oh," Gemma raised her eyebrows, then smiled a bit, "Did you?"

"Yeah, it's not weird, right?" I made sure, checking my phone for the notification that he was on his way.

I invited him just last night, two glasses into a bottle of wine, when I was still quite upset over Mason.

"Is it a date?" Gemma continued, looking over at her boyfriend as he laughed a little.

"It is not." I answered.

We began walking down the sidewalk and she nodded, "Good. A first date would have to be a bit more special."

"Uh— right." I furrowed my eyebrows, remembering briefly back to our first date.

Harry and I spent the entire day at the ocean for our first official date. We woke up early to watch the sunrise and stayed well after the sun set. We had picnic foods and even ended up napping half way through the day after the sun wore us out. We ended it with a fast food dinner and a drive back to campus, listening to all of our favorite songs, the uncomfortable feeling of sand all over our bodies.

"We're only friends, though." I reminded. The possibility of Harry and I going on a date hadn't even crossed my mind, and I didn't exactly see it crossing his.

"I know, but I'm hopeful." She smiled, pinching my shoulder gently as we crossed the street.

The three of us leaned against a railing on an overlook just above a park beneath us, children played while chasing off the birds as parents watched, the sound of cars rushing by behind us and the unusually loud music playing through the speakers not distracting us from the beauty of our city.

Just as we prepared to continue our walk, my phone buzzed in my pocket with a message from Harry.

Just got off. Be there in a bit.

I had already informed him of our plans to grab dinner, and figured with the long line outside the restaurant, he'd probably make it with enough time to spare. We checked in for a table and spent the rest of the time waiting outside until one freed up.

Harry showed up about a half hour later, wearing a cream coloured button up and dark brown pants. The first three buttons were undone, his chest tattoos peaking through every corner, the silver and sage crosses still on the chain hanging from his neck.

His hand, full of rings on each finger, raised to greet Michal with a handshake, Gemma with a partial hug and a kiss on the cheek. He stopped for a moment as he reached me, a nod and a smile before giving me a hug similar to Gemmas.

"Sorry I'm late." Harry apologized, standing beside me as we stood in front of Gemma and Michal.

"You didn't miss a thing." Gemma assured, smiling up at her brother.

He nodded and rubbed the side of his index against the tip of his nose, a nervous habit of his I'd caught onto a while ago. Gemma and Michal carried into a conversation about what they were looking to order, and the two of us stood silently, my fingers finding themselves twirling the hair on the back of my neck before Harry turned over and smiled at me, fully this time, so I smiled back.