thirty two

"What's this one for?" Harry asked, setting down my extra battery and picking up one of my wide-angle lenses.

"It really depends. I'd say its commonly used for landscape photography, but i've played around with it in my own work— it adds dimension. Mainly, it's designed to capture more of the subject within the frame." I explained as best as I could as I stuffed the equipment inside my bag, staring at the clock to make sure we were still okay on time.

Harry nodded, intrigued to learn more as he handed it to me to place in the bag along with the few other lenses I'd been packing away after a photoshoot from earlier in the day.

"Do they record video as well?" He continued, referring to my cameras in specific.

"Most of them do, yeah, but there are certain cameras that are simply better fit for videography, and mine aren't those." I answered, then paused. "Though, I guess it doesn't actually matter the equipment. I've seen really great work taken on otherwise crappy video cameras." That went for anything, really.

"My home videos were taken on shitty camcorders, but I quite like them." Harry laughed, I smiled in agreement.

"They're nostalgic."

"What matters is how it makes you feel." He added, and I couldn't have said it better.

"Right," I exhaled, smiling. "But enough about that, we should get going soon."

I reached over to grab the charger and packed it away, sighing in relief as I zipped the bag shut. I rested my arms on top of it and watched as Harry fixed the hair underneath his sunglasses, his curls falling against his forehead for just a moment before he pulled them back with his fingers and slid the sunnies up again. It was a quick, swift motion, but it had felt like I'd been watching in slow.

I left him in the living area while I made my way into my bedroom, setting down the camera equipment into my closet, then looking over myself in the mirror once more. I spritzed on a bit of perfume and adjusted my own hair, pulling away a few out of place strands and fixing it to my liking, then rejoined Harry.

"Do you have your things?" I asked, making sure he hadn't forgotten before we took off. He held a thumbs-up and we left shortly after, preparing for the hour-long drive we'd decided to take out to the location of Colourful Silence.

The idea came about with not much thought, while Harry and I were messaging about a melody he couldn't quite catch. He mentioned that he last had it in the back of his mind while we were taking photos on that day, and I suggested we go back in hopes he'd regain it.

We took his car, the guitar case and his journal riding in the backseat as I sat passenger, my bag in my lap filled with it's usual essentials, including a disposable camera I had yet to finish.

I always felt quite cool riding in his car. With the windows rolled down and rock music streaming through the sound system, one of his hands on the wheel as the other rested on the center console. The tan interior was quite nice as well, and I always wondered how he happened upon such a lucky find.

My fingers grazed the edge of the window, tapping against the white of his car while looking into the sideview mirror for a quick moment, then back at Harry as he hummed along to the song playing.

We hadn't spoken much at all about our talk since that night, which I guess was alright as I assumed we were both just figuring things out for ourselves. At least I hoped so, anyway. Despite it all, it was nice to still get together just like this— and in many ways, it was quite helpful.

The sun was still out, but quickly making it's way towards the horizon, and something told me we wouldn't be leaving for a while. As we arrived to the woodsy location, I followed Harry through the grass and trees as we recalled the turns we took to reach the open area near the pond.