eleven

I knocked on the familiar light blue door, a tray of cookies in hand. The sound of my mother yelling out coming, dear! from inside the house followed by the door opening shortly after.

My mother took the cookies from my hand and set them on the entryway table beside her before embracing me with a hug.

"Oh, liana, it's so nice to see you." She smiled, squeezing my cheeks as I laughed.

"It's nice to see you too, mum." I kissed her cheek and shut the door behind me as I entered my parents home, which I hadn't been in since Christmas a few months ago. "Is dad out back?" I asked.

"Yes, will you call him in?" My mum nodded, taking the cookies into the kitchen as I made my way to their backyard, the door opened just slightly.

I looked around the yard for my father, finding him reaching for an apple in their apple tree.

"Hi, dad!" I greeted, coming up from behind him. He turned as he picked the apple, a large smile on his face.

"Hey, love, how are you?" He pulled me in for a hug as well.

"I'm good, how are you?" I reciprocated, following as we walked inside.

"I'm well," He nodded. We made our way to the kitchen to help my mum set up dinner at the table.

They'd invited me over for dinner only a few hours ago and I gladly accepted, as it had been far too long since I'd last seen them. I called them every so often, but a phone call wasn't the same as sitting at the dinner table with them.

We began eating shortly after, a delicious vegetarian meal prepared by my mother, and fresh lemonade from their lemon tree. I remembered growing up in this house, the backyard being my fathers greatest joy. He had a lemon, apple, and orange tree, as well as a spread of different vegetables and flowers.

"How's work? Have you been shooting a lot lately?" My dad asked, scooping up a forkful of quinoa.

"It's really good. I've gotten lots of calls since the gallery, and i've been doing a few shoots a week." I nodded, my mother smiled.

"We've got to go out there one day and see your photos, don't we?" She nudged my dad, he nodded.

"Did your friends go?" He conversed.

"Mostly. My models visited, Gemma and her boyfriend came—" I stopped myself before finishing, hesitating for a moment whether I'd mention Harry's visit. I wasn't sure how they felt about him after all this time.

"Did yours?" My mom spoke before I could finish.

"If by that, you mean Mason, well then, no. But he isn't my boyfriend, and he was working." I explained, drinking the lemonade. "Harry stopped by."

My mums eyes widened as she set down her fork, and my father cleared his throat.

"Styles?" He clarified.

"Yes."

"Your ex?" My mum continued.

"That's the only Harry Styles I know, mum." I laughed a little, though neither of my parents seemed to be in the laughing mood.

"Surely, you have some explanation?"

"It's a bit of a long story, but we've been in contact. He visited me about two months ago." I shrugged, deciding to leave out a good majority of the details.

"Why didn't you tell me this, liana?" My mum frowned, reaching her hand out. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, mum." I assured. "Anyway, it's not a big deal. How have you two been?" I attempted to steer the conversation away from Harry and I, almost regretting mentioning it. I wanted to keep my parents aware of what was going on in my life, but I didn't want them to worry.