iv.

𝗄𝖾𝗍𝗌𝗎 𝗉𝗋𝗈𝖽𝗎𝖼𝗍𝗂𝗈𝗇𝗌©𝗛𝗘𝗔𝗥𝗧𝗦𝗧𝗥𝗜𝗡𝗚𝗦

𝗄𝖾𝗍𝗌𝗎 𝗉𝗋𝗈𝖽𝗎𝖼𝗍𝗂𝗈𝗇𝗌©
𝗛𝗘𝗔𝗥𝗧𝗦𝗧𝗥𝗜𝗡𝗚𝗦

𖦹 ๑━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━๑ 𖦹

"Y/N! Y/N WAKE UP!" you heard someone whisper-yell, shaking you awake. your eyes fluttered open and immediately thinned at the brightness of the room.

looking up, you saw your manager standing above you, "ume?" your voice was groggy and raspy from sleep.

"what are you doing here? you don't work today," she helped you sit up. groaning, you stretched your limbs and yawned, feeling genuinely energized for the first time in a long time.

"uhh, what time is it?" you asked, taking note of the bright rays of sun peeking through the small window.

ume looked at her watch, "12:45," she said.

"12:45?! i'm late for school!" you yelped, scrambling around to find the bag with your laptop before ume stopped you. she put a hand on your shoulder and called out your name, making you pause.

"y/n, don't worry about that right now. what happened?" her eyes were gentle and glistening with a layer of worry. following her gaze, you saw that it was on your luggage.

"oh... i.." you didn't know what to say. how do you even explain it all? where do you start?

"it's okay, take your time," ume smiled and sat down beside you, still holding your hand in hers.

"i ran away—from home," you began to explain everything to her, starting from your jobs to your money stash; what happened with your mom and everything after.

"oh my god," ume said, flabbergasted at your recollection of everything. "y/n, i am so sorry," she pulled you in for a hug, squeezing you tightly.

seeing her act so motherly to you made you tear up, causing you to struggle to keep the tears at bay. you felt the warmness of her body engulf you and that alone was enough to send you over the edge.

ume's hand gently caressed you back as you weeped on her shoulder, eliciting small sniffles. her saccharine scent filled your nostrils, turning your mood bittersweet.

"i don't even know what to do now," you cried as you pulled away, wiping away your incessant tears. "where to go, i—"

"okay, okay, we need to get you something to eat first. then we can talk, okay?"

you nodded, standing up and following ume to the front of the cafe. she told you to sit down at the tabled while she whipped something up for you.

taking out your phone, you looked at you reflection and sniffled, "what a mess..."

"why don't you head to the bathroom and clean up while i do this?" ume said from behind the counter, pulling on her apron and smiling.

humming, you got up and walked over to the cafe's bathroom, the door automatically closing shut behind you. you sighed at your appearance in the mirror, your colorful dreads were pulled into a ponytail from yesterday's day of work and you were still wearing work clothes. the dried up blood on your face only added to your disheveled appearance.

turning on the faucet, you cupped cold water into your hands and splashed your face with it before grabbing a paper towel. rubbing at the dried up blood, you winced at the sharp pain from the movement.

finally, you just gave up and patted your face dry, feeling the effects of crying so much with your heavy mood.

"here you go, sweetie," ume set your food down in front of you and sat in the seat adjacent to you.

"thanks, ume," you smiled at the heart drawn with ketchup on the top of the omelette and took a bite. she nodded and leaned back in her seat, looking at you with sad eyes, which made you sigh in vexation. "don't look at me like that..."

"like what?"

"like— that!" you pointed at the look of pity on her face and ume finally cracked a smile.

the woman shook her head, and laughed through her nose, "well, how do you expect me to react? why didn't you ever say anything?"

you shrugged, "i mean, what was i supposed to say? 'my mom's an alcoholic deadbeat so i have to work 4 jobs to make do all while keeping my grades decent?' what could you have done about it?" your words may have sounded harsh in an outsider's eyes but it was simply the truth.

ume sighed and rubbed her temples, "do you have any close relatives?" she asked as while crossing her feet.

shaking your head, you laughed a little, though bitterly, "i definitely wouldn't have been living with my mom if i did..."

"right, of course," ume nodded in understanding, followed by a small gasp. "wait a minute..."

your gaze moved to her momentarily, your mouth still chewing as you awaited her eureka.

"didn't you say you got recommended to that one school?  the really popular one, uhh— ua!"

"sure... but how could that possibly help my situation? a school like that will only raise my stress levels," you said truthfully. reaching over, you grabbed the glass of orange juice and took a sip.

"no, but, hear me out. i'm pretty sure i saw on the news a few weeks ago that after that kidnapping, they built dorms for their students so that they could be closer to the school and out of danger."

"that's... great..?" you laughed through your nose, not sure how you were supposed to react to such—seemingly—unimportant news.

"y/n, you idiot!" ume gasped even louder, standing up and pacing the store. "that means you could enroll into the school and have a place to stay! you're killing two birds with one stone!"

you stared at the short woman, her dark blue hair streaked with bits of grey from the stress of running a cafe. you considered the idea.... it wasn't a terrible plan, but...

"it's not a bad idea, but there is one huge problem..." you said, looking at ume with skepticism.

her gaze moved over to you and she stopped pacing, "what's that?"

"how do i enroll into a school without a parent? besides, i haven't trained my quirk since junior high, there's no way i'd get in. also, i'm pretty sure they won't allow this late of an admission, school started months ago!" you went on and on, obviously listing more than one problem.

"okay, woah, woah," ume put two hands up to stop your rambling. "first of all, i can go in as your parent— err guardian. besides," she mocked, "junior high was not that long ago, so you'll be fine. for the late admission thing, we can just explain to them your situation. i'm sure they'll understand."

you gazed up at her, your eyes shining, "would you really...?"

"of course," ume smiled, "anything for you."

║▌│█║▌│ █║▌│█│║▌║║▌│█║▌│ █║▌│█│║▌

-ˏˋ こんにちは ˊˎ-

𝐁𝐀𝐊𝐔𝐆𝐎 𝐗 𝐁𝐋𝐀𝐂𝐊 (𝐟𝐞𝐦.) 𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐃𝐄𝐑
inspired by :: anime
—my hero academia

est. 2021
-𝐊3𝐓5𝐔3𝐊1©