Chapter 9: Celebrations

Rosyln by Bon Iver, St. Vincent

Amelia's POV:

Numb. Everything was numb. After I made my way back home that night, I just turned it off. All of my feelings are buried so deep, I hope that I never find them again. The grey wool blanket from my bed was wrapped around my body as I sat on the bay window in my room. Harry arrived a few days ago, we haven't talked much. I mainly just sit here, looking outside, wondering what Mel is doing. I started cutting again, she would be so disappointed. Not that she actually cares anymore. I pulled the sleeve of my jumper up to look at the vertical red lines that trail down my forearm. I scratch at the healing cuts, causing them to crack and bleed again. I smirk to myself as the single drop trails down the side of my arm. I drag my thumb along the trail and place it to my lips, licking the blood of my finger. I look back out the window, at the raindrops that trail down my window. A race to reach the bottom. A knock sounds at my door and before I can respond, it opens. I glare at Harry who doesn't seem to understand the concept of privacy.
"What do you want?" He sighs and fidgets with the strings on his hoodie.
"Well, It's christmas eve, and Sirius and Remus want you downstairs." The poor boy tried to be friends with me but quickly learned that it wasn't going to happen.
"I don't know why they'd want me there but whatever." I roll my eyes and stand up, discreetly pulling my sleeve down as I did.
We walked down the stairs side by side. He kept looking at the tattoos on my legs, since they were the only ones that were visible at the moment. Before I could snap at him for staring, we were at the bottom and Dad was pushing me toward the couch next to the tree. I frowned when I saw my thigh spread out against the leather cushion. When I looked back up, Remus was dropping a large box wrapped in white paper in front of me. I looked up at him, confused.
"What's this?" I asked. He looked shocked before replying.
"It's a present, cub. For christmas." His statement didn't clarify anything for me.
So once again, I looked at him confused with a "Huh?". Him and Sirius look at each other before looking back at me. "What?" I ask again, more agitated this time.
"Haven't you celebrated Christmas before Ly?" I shook my head, no.
"I mean a couple foster families had trees up but I was always sent to my room the day of. Why?" Sirius looked really sad but Harry looked at me with a relatable expression. Remus just shook his head and pushed the present closer to me.
"It's for you. Just open it." he said before opening the grey bag in front of him.
"I- I'm sorry. I should have gotten you guys something..." I looked down in shame. Actually feeling bad for not finding something to give them to show my gratitude. Sirius shook his head before speaking.
"Don't stress about it kiddo. You're all we wanted and you being here is the best present that you could ever give us." I blushed but smiled. I placed a corner of the paper in between my two fingers and pulled. When I lifted the lid off of the box I looked inside. I pulled out an extremely expensive looking leather jacket that was perfectly tailored to my body. It was clear that it wasn't new but the worn look suited it even more. The leather was soft, indicating that it was real, not synthetic. There were a few patches on the back. A paw print, a moon, a set of antlers and something else that was scratched out. Even though the patches weren't put on very well, it was perfect. The inside was as soft as my best jumper. I looked up, confused as to why something so amazing was being given to me of all people. I looked at papa who shook his head and nodded toward dad.
"It was mine in highschool. It's a little worn but I thought you might like it." He shrugged, trying not to make a big deal out of it in case I didn't like it. My lips spread into the biggest smile I'd had in months. It was genuine too. I slid it on over my jumper. I looked down at myself and smiled a little wider. I walked over to dad and gave him a hug. Into his shoulder I said "Thank you, I love it. It's perfect." He squeezed me back before placing another, smaller box onto my lap. I looked confused again. "What's this?"
"We've been through this already, pup. It's a Christmas present."
"But, you gave me this jacket."
"Yes, and this one is from Remus." I was still confused but picked up the box. Why were they giving me things? I have been a horrible daughter. I've had an attitude, I've broken the rules and I ran away. This time, Harry spoke up.
"I was confused my first Christmas too. About why people were getting me things I mean." I looked up at him and gave him a small smile, a sort of silent thank you. My hair fell into my face, blocking my eyes. I twisted it up into a bun and stuck my wand in it to hold it up. Sirius looked at me and giggled slightly.
"What?" I asked, unsure of what I did.
"Nothing. I just used to do that." He replied with another giggle.
"Used to?" Papa added with a raised eyebrow. I chuckled but otherwise ignored their antics. This box was wrapped in gold. I took the wrapping off faster this time, excited to find out what was inside.