Chapter 13: Happy Valentines

We Fell In Love In October by girl in red
Lyria's POV:
    Pansy tiptoes over to my bed from hers across the room. She thinks she's quiet but my hearing is just too sensitive for anyone to sneak up on me. She pokes me in the arm and I open my eyes. I offer her a gentle smile as she crawls in next to me. The warming charms in the room allow us to sleep in minimal clothing without freezing our asses off. I'm just in a sports bra and underwear but she is in much more elegant clothing. She has on a dark green silk nightgown that stops mid thigh. It's quite the sight, I'm not gonna lie. She rests her head on my chest as I hold her close. Her right hand begins tracing the scars on my abdomen. It bothered me when she first started doing it but I realized that she isn't doing it to point them out, it just calms her. She has anxiety but refuses to tell anyone about it so I was shocked when she opened up about it to me one day. After that, I didn't object to the little things she does like this, she's only trying to focus her thoughts. Her mind seems to me a busy place, perhaps a pensieve would be helpful. She looks over at the Muggle alarm clock on my bedside table. Just as the numbers hit 12:00 she whispers to me.
"Happy Valentines Day." I giggle at the remark but squeeze her closer anyway. It has been hard to let her in since Amelia but she doesn't take no for an answer. She's compassionate and sweet and always makes sure that I'm taking care of myself. It's been really hard to hide my anorexia from her but luckily, wizards aren't as aware of Muggle illnesses. I trace patterns on her back with my fingertips. Something I'd noticed helps her relax. She softens in my arms, releasing tension that I didn't know was there.
"Darling?" I ask after some time in the silence. We have the room to ourselves so I don't worry about waking other people. She shifted her head to look up at me.
"Hmm?" she asks, sleep clouding her voice.
"Would you be my Valentine this year?" A part of my heart hurt, knowing that last year I was asking Mel the same question but I pushed it aside easily enough. Her sluggish smile grew wider and she said yes. I kiss her forehead and she blushes, moving her head back down. She falls asleep before long, being in my arms helps her sleep more than anything else since her parents made her stop using a sleeping draught. I stayed awake for most of the night, thinking about everything that was to come. Though me and Harry haven't talked much since I was sorted into the house he hated, I worry about the second task that was taking place at the end of the month. I do hope he has finally figured out that clue.
    Pansy and I walked hand in hand to the great hall. We've gotten used to the judgemental looks from the various muggle borns in the school. The wizarding world is entirely accepting of the LGBT+ community but those who were raised around muggles have many more objections to people like me. She plants a kiss to my cheek just as we pass a group of whispering Hufflepuffs. I just roll my eyes but appreciate the kiss nonetheless. I've been dealing with these sorts all my life. We follow our routine and sit across Blaise and my dear cousin Draco in the middle of the Slytherin table. I wave at Blaise who returns the gesture but am ignored by Draco who is staring down at a piece of paper. I throw a strawberry at him which hits him right in the forehead, causing him to jolt upwards. He gives me a sheepish smile and apologises. To most of the school he has this demeanor he uses to hide his insecurities. With us he is much softer and one of the kindest blokes I've met. He picks up the strawberry and makes a show of taking a bite, then winking at a 4th year girl who's been staring our way. He's still a cocky bastard, that doesn't change. I ask him what the letter is for, since the mail hasn't come in yet.
"It's from my mother, she sent it straight to my dorm, rather than waiting for the owls to come in." he says, avoiding part of my question. I give him a stern look and eventually he gives in and spills. "Apparently Mother and Father are coming to visit on the 24th." I nod and go to turn away but then it clicks.
"Wait, isn't that the date of the next task?" I ask, though I'm sure of the date.
"Yes, so I'm going to have to miss it. Too bad I won't be able to watch Potter make a fool of himself." We all chuckle at that. He looks at me with an intense look.
"Father wants to meet you, as does Mother." I panic a little inside. Though I have been looking forward to meeting my extended family, the Malfoy's are intimidating to say the least. He offers me a reassuring smile. "Don't stress about it, they'll love you. Do me a favor and call my dad Uncle Lucy. It will be hilarious." I chuckle with him and look down at my untouched food. I wonder how long it will take them to notice that. Preferably later rather than sooner.
    Just then the owls swooped in from the high windows. Valentine's day always makes for busy owls. Me and Pansy are talking so I don't look for letters, nor do I hear the boys laughing. They become obnoxious so I turn to shush them but then I see the huge pile of letters in various shades of red and pink sitting in front of me. I immediately flush and try to look through the ever growing stack. Most of these are from people I've never even met. I look around the great hall and there are far too many people looking my way. When we make eye contact, they giggle and look away. I roll my eyes at the letters from guys, I haven't been shy about my sexuality so I don't know why they keep trying. When I go to let them down by saying "I'm lesbian." they just respond with "It's okay, I don't mind. How about friday?" Like bitch, I mind thank you very much. Everyone helps me organize the letters into piles. Pansy doesn't look all too pleased at my admirers. Neither does Blaise for that matter... that's odd. In the end, all of the letters end up becoming fire starters. But I save the chocolate and sweets for my stash. Sharing a room with another girl has put a serious dent in my candy inventory. It's the one indulgence I allow myself. Eating disorder or not, I can't resist chocolate.
    We walked into the potions room together. Luckily, this class is just us Slytherins. I saunter over to my usual seat in the front right corner. Draco groans, not wanting to be in the front again but follows anyway. Pansy sits behind me and Blaise beside her. Professor Snape makes his typical entrance into the room, his dark cloak billowing behind him.
"Today, we will be making the drought of death. Open your textbooks to page 269 and begin immediately. You have until the end of class." He proceeds to sit down at his desk and ignore the class. I roll my eyes and look over at Draco but he's already getting our materials. I pull my Advanced Potion Making book out of my bag while I chat with Blaise. I didn't notice Astoria walking next to my desk. I hear a crash and look up just in time to see the contents of an unknown potion to fall onto my arm. I scream as my skin burns. My flesh starts to melt away, exposing the bone. The pain is worse than any full moon. I've fallen to my knees, still screaming. Pansy and Blaise are at my side, trying to help me but not knowing how. Draco is fighting with Astoria, shoving her into the wall. Trying to keep her away from me so that she can't make it worse. Snape finally looks up, assuming that his students were simply being dramatic. When he makes eye contact with me, then looks from my arm to the empty cauldron, his face pales. He rushes over to me, pushing all of the students out of his way. Black spots are blocking my vision. I can't see. As I'm about to panic, everything goes dark.

General POV:
    "At least the scars look dope." Blaise responded when Lyria was complaining about going back to potions. She shot him a dark glare but didn't say anything. They came to class early, wanting to beat everyone into the classroom and surprisingly, Snape was already sitting at his desk. Lyria tentatively walked up to the man. She has such a good relationship with all of her teachers but for some reason,  he just doesn't like her. He favors all of the other students in his house, why not her.
"Professor Snape?" She says, trying to catch his attention. He looks at her in distain.
"What could you possibly want?" He sneered at her, tired of her antics. He refused to pay any attention to the girl, knowing that she must be a copy of her fathers. Severus figured out her heritage almost immediately. Knowing that there was no way that Sirius Black, his ex boyfriend, would ever have a child with a woman and Lupin made the most sense.
"Well, my textbook was destroyed last class, and my new one won't be here for a few weeks. Is there one that I could borrow until it comes?" He rolled his eyes and pointed towards the worn down cabinet in the far corner. He found the book from when he was a student in there a few months back. Maybe now she could finally make a half decent potion. She smiled back at the man, refusing to let his crudeness lower her spirit. Snape wondered why she was kind to him, no matter how cruel or unfair he was to her. She was interested in the art of potion making, it fascinated her. But she just wasn't good at it, no matter how hard she tried.

*That was just a bit of a filler chapter for you.