iv. because i'm not the only winter soldier

Addi, Steve, Sam, and T'Challa were being transported to Berlin. "So, you like cats?" Sam asked T'Challa. Addi chuckled. "Sam." Steve warned. "What? Dude shows up dressed like a cat, you don't wanna know more?" "Your suit... it's vibranium?" Steve asked. "The Black Panther has been the protector of Wakanda for generations. A mantle, passed from warrior to warrior. And now, because your father murdered my father, I also wear the mantle of king. So, I ask you, as both warrior and king, how long do you think you can keep him safe from me?" They didn't say anything.

They got to the CIA headquarters and they were allowed to leave the van. They noticed Bucky inside a giant metal and glass cage. Addi went to walk towards him but was hauled back by an agent. She went to blast him but her hands were still cuffed behind her back. Sam grabbed onto her arm and gave her a look. They started walking towards Sharon and another man. "What's gonna happen to him?" Steve asked. "Same thing that ought to happen to you." The man said.

"Psychological evaluation and extradition." Sharon spoke up. "This is Everett Ross, Deputy Task Force Commander." "What about a lawyer?" Steve asked. "Lawyer. That's funny." Deputy Ross laughed. "See their weapons are placed in lockup. And keep the handcuffs on her. We'll write you a receipt." "I better not look out the window and see anybody flying around in that." Sam said as a man walked by with his wings. Addi watched as her motorcycle was wheeled away. "What? My bike." She whined.

                                                                                             ***

"You'll be provided with an office instead of a cell. Now, do me a favor, stay in it?" Deputy Ross said as they walked throughout the building. "I don't intend on going anywhere." T'Challa told him. Natasha approached them. "For the record, this is what making things worse looks like." "He's alive." Steve said. They entered the office and who was there other than Tony Stark.

He walked towards them after he hung up from his phone call. "Secretary Ross wants you three prosecuted. Had to give him something." "He wants to murder us?" Addi asked. "No, it means. You know what, nevermind." Tony said and started walking away. "I'm not getting that shield back, am I?" Steve asked. "Technically, it's the government's property." Natasha told him. "Technically not." Addi said. "Wings, too." Natasha continued. "Well..." Addi trailed off on that one. They did technically steal them from a government facility. "That's cold." Sam commented. "Warmer than jail." Tony shouted back at them.

                                                                                                 ***

Sharon entered the office as they watched everyone Bucky be interrogated through the glass. "The receipt for your gear." She said, handing the paper to Sam. "And..." She held up a key and gestured for Addi to turn around. "Oh my god, Sharon. You are a lifesaver. Thank you so much." Addi exclaimed as Sharon unlocked the handcuffs. "No problem." Sharon replied and took off the handcuffs for her. Addi moved her arms and shook her wrists out. She let the green mist form on her fingertips and moved them around. "That's more like it." She said. Sam looked at the paper. "'Bird costume'? Come on." "I didn't write it." Sharon clarified. She pressed a button and the interrogation came up on the screen in the office. 

                                                                                                   ***

Steve looked at the picture of the Bucky impersonator. "Why would the Task Force release this photo to begin with?" Sharon shrugged. "Get the word out, involve as many eyes as we can?" "Right, it's a good way to flush a guy out of hiding. Set off a bomb, get your picture taken. Get seven billion people looking for the Winter Soldier." "You're saying someone framed him to find him?"

"Steve, we looked for the guy for two years and found nothing." Sam spoke up. "We didn't bomb the UN. That turns a lot of heads." "Yeah, but that doesn't guarantee that whoever framed him would get him. It guarantees that we would." Sharon said then they all realized. They turned to the screen and Steve said "Yeah." All the lights soon shut off. "Sub level five. East wing." Sharon told them and the three took off running.

They found where they were looking for and noticed that all of the guards were on the ground. Addi kept watch while Steve found the interrogator. Suddenly the Winter Soldier appeared out of nowhere and attacked Sam. He was thrown towards the cage and hit against it. Steve ran at the Winter Soldier while Addi went to the other guy. He pushed her and she tripped over Sam, landed against the cage. She blinked a couple of times and saw him walking away. Addi and Sam got up and started following him. He ran up the stairs and they followed. They ran outside and noticed his jacket on the ground. "Damn it." Sam said.

                                                                                                   ***

"Hey, Cap, Addi!" Sam yelled and they all ran into the room where Bucky was. His hand was trapped under an old machine to make sure he didn't harm anybody. "Steve." He groaned. "Which Bucky am I taking to?" Steve questioned. "Your mom's name was Sarah. You used to wear newspapers in your shoes." Bucky said while chuckling. "Can't read that in a museum." Steve said. "Just like that, we're supposed to be cool?" Sam asked. "I didn't even know that." Addi said, looking up at Steve.

"Adelaida." Bucky said. She looked over to him. "Hi Dad." She said, smiling. "What did I do?" Bucky asked. "Enough." She responded. "Oh god. I knew this would happen. Everything HYDRA put inside me is still there. All he had to do was say the goddamn words." "Who was he?" Steve asked. "I don't know." "People are dead. The bombing, the setup, the doctor did all that just to get ten minutes with you. I need you to do better than 'I don't know'."

"He wanted to know about Siberia." Bucky told them and Addi looked over. "Where we were kept." Addi chimed in. "He wanted to know exactly where." "Why would he need to know that?" Steve asked. "Because I'm not the only Winter Soldier." Bucky told him. Addi flashed back to the incidents with the others. "Who were they?" Steve asked, snapping Addi out of her flash back. "Their most elite death squad. More kills than anyone in HYDRA history. And that was before the serum." "They all turn out like you?" Sam questioned.

"Worse." "The doctor, could he control them?" Steve asked. "Enough." "Said he wanted to see an empire fall." "With these guys, he could do it. They speak thirty languages, can hide in plain sight, infiltrate, assassinate, destabilize." Bucky started. "They can take a whole country down in one night, you'd never see them coming." Addi finished off. Sam walked over to her and Steve. "This would have been a lot easier a week ago."

"If we call Tony..." "No, he won't believe us." "Even if he did... "Who knows if the Accords would let him help." Sam realized. "We're on our own." Sam shrugged. "Maybe not. We know a guy." Sam said, looking at Addi. "Not Scott." She said. Sam nodded. "Yes, Scott."

                                                                                                  ***

Addi watched with Bucky and Sam from the tiny car as Steve went to talk to Sharon. She opened the trunk of her car and they saw the shield and the wings. "Can you move your seat up?" Bucky asked Sam. "No." He responded. Bucky scooched over. "Okay. Okay." Addi said and crawled over him to the other seat. She watched in disgust as Steve and Sharon kissed. Sharon walked away and Steve looked back at them. Addi made a throwing up motion and Steve just looked at them.

                                                                                                 ***

Steve drove to where they were meeting everyone else and parked the tiny car. They got out and Addi stayed by the car with Bucky. She watched as Clint and Wanda got out of the van. Clint spoke to Steve and then opened the back door of the van. Scott was laid down asleep. He jolted up and got out of the van. He spoke to the others for a bit and then noticed Addi. He waved at her. She waved back. "Hi, Scott!" She shouted out. "We should get moving." Bucky shouted.

"We got a chopper lined up." Clint said. An announcement came over the system in German. "They're evacuating the airport." Bucky told them. "Stark." Sam realized. "Stark?" Scott questioned. "Suit up." Steve said. Clint and Wanda walked over to Addi. Addi hugged Wanda. "I'm sorry I left you." Wanda hugged her back. "It's okay." Clint looked at Addi and Bucky. "Wow, you two look a lot alike." He commented. "Yeah, Clint, I know. Because he's my father." She said. Clint's eyes widened. "Your mother never told me that."