vi. do not test her

Adelaida had been hard at work learning to control her powers. They had no known name for what she could do, so everyone referred to it as her magic. Adelaida wondered if there were others out there like her. She doubted it, as her abilities were man made, and she was not born with them. She was still breaking mirrors, and, well, lots of other things too. There was just something about it that didn't seem right to Adelaida. Maybe it is because it was unnatural, and it was injected into her to make her a weapon. An indestructible one.

Adelaida never felt that way about the super soldier serum. She knew that was what she was created for. It was something that she was always meant to do. It was her destiny. Her path was written for her, and all she could do was follow it. "Again." The man who was Adelaida's handler, or her 'boss', said, gesturing towards the small and innocent fox laying on the ground, snapping Adelaida out of her daze. Adelaida did not want to kill the fox. It was so small, and innocent. It was only just a baby. Adelaida hesitantly raised her hand and let the green mist come from her fingertips, lifting the fox into the air.

Adelaida focused harder. She imagined tearing the fox apart. Her hands got tighter, and her fingertips felt more strained. The fox started struggling to breathe, as if there was a heavy amount of pressure pressing down on its lungs. Soon enough, the fox went limp. It was dead. Adelaida frowned, but soon wiped it off her face to make sure her handler didn't see it. Adelaida continued. She moved her hands and tore the fox limb from limb. She let the body pieces drop to the floor. Then she let the mist absorb itself back into her fingers.

She looked over to the handler and saw him write something down on his clipboard and paper. The handler led her to the training room. Although Adelaida was more advanced than the other soldiers, there would be situations where she would not be able to use her powers. It was only the year nineteen eighty three. Normal people would not be so keen to the idea of advanced superhumans. So, Adelaida still trained in self defense and martial arts. Her handler went over and stood by the tiny windows in the room.

He gestured towards the middle of the room. Adelaida obeyed and went to the middle of the fairly sized room. She started practicing punches, kicks, blocks, and take downs, imagining that she had an opponent opposite her. Adelaida sensed that someone had come into the room, but did not pay attention as to who. Until she heard a voice. That was when she looked over. "That was weak. I do not even know why HYDRA let a girl into their facility. Let alone one as small as you." An unknown soldier said, sauntering over to Adelaida. "Soldier, do not test her." Her handler said, warning the soldier.

The soldier came closer to Adelaida. She could feel his breath on her face. She turned away from him, and he grabbed her chin, forcing her to look at him. "Oh aren't you a pretty one? I could have some fun with you." At this point, Adelaida was fuming. She grabbed his wrist and then did a cartwheel with no hands, still holding onto his wrist, flipping him onto his back while also simultaneously kicking him in the nose twice in a row. The soldier shakily stood up, while holding onto his nose. He kept one hand on his nose while throwing the other out, trying to punch Adelaida.

She stopped his fist with her bare hand and then threw herself onto his shoulders, choking him. He reached behind him and managed to throw her off of his shoulders. Adelaida landed on her feet. Adelaida turned around in anger. She could feel the tingle all over her body and she was sure her eyes were turning a slight green tint. She flicked her wrist and suddenly the soldier was pressed against the wall. Adelaida used her super soldier speed to run over to him. She wrapped her left hand around his neck, choking him, while her right hand hovered over his chest. Right where his heart was.

Adelaida turned to her handler, who looked quite impressed. He nodded and then wrote something down on his clipboard. Adelaida tightened her fingers, adding more and more pressure and focus. She slightly moved her fingers back, and the soldier gasped for air. Adelaida smirked, knowing he was feeling the tug on his heart. She hauled her fingers back, watching as his heart flew into her hand. She dropped it on the ground in disgust. The heart hit the ground at the same time as the soldier's dead body slumped to the ground. Her handler clapped his hands. "Impressive. You are dismissed." He said waving her off to go and get cleaned up.

Adelaida headed towards her room. Although it was more like a prison cell without the iron bars. Just a heavy metal door with a small window at the top, which was covered with iron bars. Inside the small room there was only a bed, a toilet, a sink, and a chest which Adelaida kept her clothes in. Adelaida entered the room and closed the door behind her, accidentally leaving bloody hand marks on it. She immediately rushed to the sink, cleaning her hands and arms. She took her hair out of its ponytail, shaking her head letting her long red hair flow down her back.

Adelaida knew that she got the red hair from her mother, Natalia. Knowing that her eyes were blue, she knew that she got those from her father, The Winter Soldier. Speaking of her father, she hadn't seen him for a while, and she had no idea where he was, or if he was even still alive. Same with her mother. Adelaida missed her mother. She had not seen her in over sixteen years. They had not spent much time together, only two years. But those were the best two years of Adelaida's life. Still thinking of her parents, Adelaida changed into some more comfortable clothes to sleep in and laid down in her bed.

She cuffed herself to the bed post and stared at the ceiling. Adelaida wondered how different her life would be like if she wasn't meant to become an assasin. And if her parents weren't assassins either. What if her parents had met in high school, and they were just a normal family? Adelaida thought about all the possibilities as she drifted off to sleep.