xiii. this corset is really uncomfortable

Adelaida Barnes sighed as she closed up the box with Pietro's jacket in it and placed it on the top shelf of the closet. It was time for her to move on. She smoothed down her dress and exited the bedroom to see Shuri waiting for her. "I shouldn't be here." She said as they started walking. "As a resident of Wakanda, and my friend, you are allowed to be here." Shuri said. "I don't know. I just feel weird. Like I'm barging in on your traditions." Addi continued. "Nonsense." T'Challa said, approaching the two girls. "You are always welcome here."

                                                                                                ***

The people of Wakanda started singing as T'Challa walked out of the plane and into the water for his coronation to be king. Adelaida stood with Shuri and Ramonda. "I, Zuri, son of Badu, give to you, Prince T'Challa, the Black Panther." The man in the water with T'Challa announced. T'Challa moved his sword and shield as he kneeled down in the water. The people of Wakanda all crossed their arms over their chests. "The prince will now have the strength of the Black Panther stripped away." Zuri held up a bowl to T'Challa's mouth and he drank the substance.

Adelaida watched as his muscles shrank and he shakily stood up. The crowd chanted in Xhosa, the language of Wakanda. "Victory in ritual combat comes by yield or death. If any tribe wishes to put forth a warrior, I now offer a path to the throne." Zuri said. "The Merchant Tribe will not challenge today." The leader of the Merchant Tribe announced. "The Border Tribe will not challenge today." "The River Tribe will not challenge today." Nakia's father said on behalf of his tribe. "The Mining Tribe will not challenge today." "Is there any member of a royal blood who wishes to challenge for the throne?" Zuri asked.

Shuri raised her hand and Addi's eyes widened. The crowd murmured. "This corset is really uncomfortable so could we all just wrap it up and go home?" Shuri said, clapping her hands. Addi held back a chuckle. Ramonda grabbed Shuri's hands. "Mother!" The crowd shook their heads in amusement. They all heard chanting and turned to face where it was coming from. Wakanda's mountain tribe emerged from the tunnel. "Are they Jabari?" Shuri asked. "Yes." Ramonda answered. "M'Baku, what are you doing here?" Zuri asked as their leader stopped in front of T'Challa and took off his mask.

"It's challenge day." He responded before turning to face the crowd. "We have watched and listened from the mountains. We have watched with disgust as your technological advancements have been overseen by a child." He said, walking towards Shuri. Ramonda held out her hand in front of her daughter while the Dora Milaje blocked her with their spears. Addi formed a ball of green energy in her hand. "Who scoffs at tradition. And now you want to hand the nation over to this prince who could not keep his own father safe. Mmm?" He continued, glaring at T'Challa.

"We will not have it. I said, we will not have it, oh! I, M'Baku, leader of the Jabari..." T'Challa interrupted him. "I accept your challenge, M'Baku." He said. "Glory to Hanuman." The people of Wakanda started beating on the drums as Zuri placed a mask on T'Challa. M'Baku placed his back on. "Jabari!" They yelled and waded in the water. "Dora Milaje!" T'Challa shouted. He spoke in Xhosa and they beat their spears on the ground. They waded out into the water. "Let the challenge begin!" Zuri shouted in English. M'Baku and T'Challa ran at each other and attacked each other with their spears and swords.

M'Baku knocked T'Challa down into the water but he got back up again. He kicked M'Baku down into the water. He got up and the attacked each other again. M'Baku swept T'Challa off of his feet, knocking him into the water. He stood up again with no weapons and no mask. "Where is your god now?" M'Baku asked. T'Challa grabbed M'Baku's spear and flipped, kicking him in the face twice. They were getting closer to the edge of the waterfall. M'Baku swung his spear at T'Challa who ducked before punching M'Baku several times.

He blocked more of M'Baku's attacks before he was picked up. M'Baku started squeezing T'Challa before hitting him across the shoulder. "No powers." He hit him again. "No claws." And again. "No special suit, oh! Just a boy not fit to lead." "Show him who you are!" Ramonda shouted out to her son. T'Challa yelled before coming up and hitting M'Baku twice, making him let go. M'Baku stumbled backwards. They both yelled before M'Baku stabbed T'Challa in the chest. He drove the spear in farther. T'Challa yelled again. "I am Prince T'Challa, son of King T'Chaka!" He shouted out, trying to remove the spear.

"You can do this, T'Challa!" Shuri yelled out. T'Challa removed the spear. M'Baku went to stab him again but T'Challa kicked him and the spear out of the way, knocking M'Baku back into the water. T'Challa dove around the water to kick M'Baku again. They rolled to the edge of the waterfall. "Yes!" Shuri shouted out. "Come on!" Nakia shouted. "Yield! Don't make me kill you!" T'Challa said. "I would raher die." M'Baku responded. T'Challa moved backwards, dangling them both over the edge. The crowd started chanting T'Challa's name. The Jabari tribe and the Dora Milaje surrounded them.

"You have fought with honor! Now yield! Your people need you." T'Challa said as the crowd continued chanting. "Yield, man!" M'Baku tapped three times on T'Challa's leg that was around his neck. T'Challa moved away. "Yes! Yes!" Shuri shouted. The crowd cheered as T'Challa stood up in victory. The Jabari tribe helped M'Baku up. "I now present to you, King T'Challa." Zuri announced. "The Black Panther." He placed the claw necklace around T'Challa's neck. They hugged before T'Challa turned to face the crowd. The Dora Milaje started dancing. "Wakanda forever!" T'Challa shouted out and crossed his arms over his chest. The crowd repeated it.