vii. sixty four, ballet slippers

"Wake up!" Someone screamed pounding on Adelaida's door. Adelaida jolted up and quickly uncuffed herself from the bed post and ran to the door. She opened it and her handler looked her up and down in disgust. "Get changed, we are leaving soon." He said. "Leaving for where?" Adelaida asked going over to her trunk to find some warmer clothes. "Stop asking so many questions, you foolish girl." He scolded rolling his eyes. Adelaida looked down in shame as he closed the door. She quickly threw on a pair of tight black leggings and a green shirt along with a black coat.

Adelaida used her powers to lift the trunk as she opened the door. "Are you ready?" Her handler asked, eyeing the trunk. Adelaida looked back into the cell and gasped. "Oh wait!" She said running back to grab her handcuffs. "Okay, now I am ready." She said, shoving the handcuffs in her pocket. Her handler rolled his eyes, dragging her by the arm to a truck out in front of the HYDRA facility. He pushed her into the back, throwing her trunk in after her, barely missing Adelaida. After narrowly missing the trunk being thrown at her, Adelaida turned around.

Her breath hitched in her throat as she saw who sat in front of her. It was her father. He stared up at her with cold, dead, steel blue eyes. She nodded at him as a sign of respect, with him doing the same, before she sat down across from him. Two handlers then hopped into the back of the truck. One of them being her handler, and the other being her father's. They locked down all the trunks and equipment before sitting down next to their assignments. "Now, would you like to know where we are going?" Her handler asked. Adelaida nodded and said "Yes sir." "We are transporting the two of you to a base in Siberia." Her father's handler said.

                                                                                            ***

After eleven long days of travelling, they had finally reached the HYDRA base hidden deep in the mountains of Siberia. They only stopped a handful of times. Usually for bathroom breaks, and to sometimes stop for food. Of course, just after they had arrived, Adelaida was thrown into a cell, her trunk soon following. The cell was actually a lot nicer than the one she resided in at the Russian base. It was slightly bigger, and there were spaces where she could actually put her things. She laid down on the bed and used her powers to lift her things out of her trunk and place them on the shelves. Adelaida felt something digging into her side and reached into her coat pocket, pulling out her handcuffs. She attached them to the bed post and sat up. She walked over to one of the shelves and picked up a hairbrush, going over to the mirror and running the brush through her long red locks.

Adelaida heard a knock on the door and placed the brush down, turning to face whoever came into the room. It was her father. "Your presence is requested in the laboratory." Adelaida nodded at him and put her hair up into a high ponytail. The Winter Soldier left her room and she trailed after him. They went through long, twisting hallways, before finally coming to a stop in front of a set of double doors. Adelaida noticed that on the way there, that everything was dark and dreary. Barely any natural light or colour. Adelaida pushed open the double doors as The Winter Soldier walked off. Her handler looked up as she walked in, and then he gestured towards a metal chair.

Adelaida sat down. Her handler stalked over to her, and held up a green book with a star engraved on the front. Adelaida tilted her head to the side, confused as to why he was showing her this. "Do you know what this is?" He asked her. She shook her head no. "This is a book that we will use to have you completely under our control. With these words you will become nothing more than a pawn in our little game. All these words have a meaning to you, and they will trigger something in your brain, that will cause you to become mindless." Her handler explained, smirking.

Adelaida was looking at the floor the whole time he was explaining. Realizing where she was looking, her handler slapped her, her head flying to the side. "Just making sure you were listening." He said sinisterly before opening the book. He cleared his throat and started saying her trigger words in Russian. "Red, hand gun, sixty four, ballet slippers, permission, cuffed, sixty six, green, eighty two, mist." Adelaida felt her eyes twitch, and her whole body shake. It was like she had no control over herself anymore. "Soldier?" Her handler said. "Ready to comply." Adelaida replied, feeling empty on the inside. Her handler looked at his colleague and smirked. He turned back to Adelaida and grabbed a fistful of her hair. He moved her head, and banged it against the metal arm of the chair, instantly knocking her out.

                                                                                          ***

When Adelaida awoke, she was back in her cell. But something about this time was different. Her father was there with her. He stared at her with an odd look on his face. Once he noticed she was awake, he stalked over to her. Adelaida brought her legs up to her chest, and he sat down. She looked back at him, wondering why he was here. "I finally know who you are." He started off. Adelaida was confused, what did he mean by that? She looked down at her feet. "You're my child." He said, absolutely shocking her. Her head snapped up, startled. "What?" Her father sighed, looking around to make sure there were no cameras or recording devices in the room. "I think I've always known. You remind me so much of someone that I don't quite remember, but you also remind me so much of myself. You have my eyes, and for some reason I feel a strong urge to protect you. I don't know why." He said. letting the protective walls HYDRA had made come down.

Adelaida hesitantly shifted closer to him, and he hesitantly wrapped his flesh arm around her shoulders. Adelaida felt tears come to her eyes. All she wanted was for her father to know who she was. "Daddy?" She said in a small voice, hearing it crack. He looked down at her. "What are they gonna do to you when they find out?" "They will probably wipe my memory again. But we will deal with that when it comes." Adelaida looked up at him, realizing that this wasn't The Winter Soldier. It was her father. It was James Buchanan Barnes. He rested his head on top of hers and Adelaida sighed in content, wishing it could last forever.