8

Brittany's POV
I sit up in my chair, fixing my gaze on Mercedes.
B-"Missing? How do you know?"
M-"He hasn't been active for the past 24 hours on any electronic devices. So I looked into their call history, and found out that his partner had made several calls to the police during the past day. I couldn't find any records of what was said during the conversations, but turns out I didn't need to."
B-"What do you mean."
M-"This was put online 15 minutes ago."

She slides the laptop she was holding across the desk and turns it to face me. Quinn walks behind me and looks over my shoulder. We both read the article.

MIKAEL LOPEZ AND DAUGHTER MISSING
Well known businessman and his teenage daughter have both been reported missing. Mikael Lopez, 50, has been missing since 9am yesterday, when he left his home to go to work. His partner Marie Johnson was worried when he did not return home, and a phone call to his work revealed that he never arrived. Police are asking for any last sightings to be reported.

Santana Lopez, 18, is Mikael Lopez's only daughter. She hasn't been seen for at least 4 days, when she left to go to popular nightclub The Dragon. Witnesses say that Miss Lopez was last seen heavily intoxicated, and was lead out by a blonde woman and dark haired man. Police are calling for these people to come forward.

"This is very unlike them. Santana and Mikael have a very good relationship, better than most fathers and daughters. However, I understand that they had an argument the night of Santana's disappearance, which is an unusual occurrence. I hope that they are both safe and come home unharmed. If anyone knows anything about their whereabouts, I urge you to come forward. Please" Marie Johnson, Mikael Lopez's partner, in an interview this morning.

I finish reading and look at the picture included in the article. It shows Santana and Mikael standing together at a fancy dinner or something. The likeness is noticeable, they have the same eyes and smile. She looks beautiful, wearing a red floor length dress with her hair curled. I turn the laptop back to Mercedes.

Q-"So boss, what do we do?"
B-"Please give me a second Quinn. Mercedes, you are excused. Thank you for your help."
M-"No problem Brittany."

Mercedes picks up her computer and leaves, closing the door behind her. Quinn waits a few seconds before wrapping her arms around me. I lean into her and let myself be comforted for once. Then I realise I have a shit load of, well, shit, to sort out. So I gently push Quinn away and turn on my computer.

Q-"So what are you going to do."
B-"I don't know. This has never happened before."
Q-"Let's start with making small decisions. Do we tell her?"
B-"No. She doesn't need to know, and hopefully he'll turn up soon."
Q-"Okay. Do we contact Marie?"
B-"Yes. We tell her part of the situation, about how he owes us money and if we are payed then we will reveal their location."
Q-"But we don't know where Mikael is..."
B-"I know. So we get the money from her, give back Santana, then I cut all contact with Mikael. He has no idea about who I am except from my name."
Q-"Smart. I'll leave you here to finish working that out, there's probably something to do."
B-"Okay. Thanks for your help Quinn."
Q-"Any time boss"

Santana's POV
I've decided that today is the day I escape. I've been down in this basement for 4 days, and I need to get out. I've been thinking for hours, but I'm still going to go through with the Rachel plan. The one where I am escorted by her to the bathroom, then I get rid of her and run away. It's simple, but effective.

It's nearly 1pm, which means that lunch should be coming around now. Right on cue, the door opens and Rachel walks in with a bowl of pasta. I swear, all I've eaten here is pasta. Either they can't afford proper food, or Rachel is just a shitty cook. I'm guessing the second one. She hands me the bowl and I thank her, only to be met by silence again.