13

Santana's POV
I walk back downstairs and find Mercedes. She looks me up and down with a faint frown.

M-"Girl, where did you go? Because I was this close to telling someone that you've escaped, and I do not wanna do that."
S-"I went to the bathroom, then I went to see Brittany."
M-"How is she?"
S-"Good, I think."
M-"Thats good. I'm always worried about her, you know? She works so hard, and never seems to have any real relationships with anyone, except from Quinn. But their relationship is too confusing for any of us, we've just given up trying to figure it out."

S-"I think that her and Quinn are just very, very close. And she's been through some shit, so maybe she doesn't trust people as much."
M-"You like her."
S-"Yeah, I don't mind her."
M-"No, you like her. As in, like-like her."
S-"What? No, I don't think so."
M-"We need to talk about this. I barely know you, but I can tell that we will get on great together."
S-"There's nothing to talk about."

M-"Which means that there almost always is something to talk about. Let's go down to my bedroom, and talk there."
S-"Do we have to?"
M-"Yes. You are under my care, and I demand that you walk downstairs with me to my room and we will talk about this. Damn, this is better than any shit I watch on Netflix."

She grabs my arm and pulls me out the room. We walk downstairs to her bedroom as she tries to keep the smile off her face. When we arrive I'm barely given time to think as she slams the door and pulls me down on the bed beside her.

M-"Okay. So you and Brittany?"
S-"As I said, there's nothing between us."
M-"You said that you didn't like her. There's a difference."
S-"Fine. I kissed her. Twice."
M-"Woah, really? When"
S-"First time was like a day ago, then it happened again a few minutes ago."
M-"This is like, the best enemies to lovers arc ever!!"

Is she serious? That is not what I'm thinking about right now. I'm really confused about this whole thing. The first was initiated by me, and it just felt right. She was there, and we were both sad, and it just made sense. But the second kiss, it was different. I'm not sure who started that one.

Mercedes snaps her fingers in front of my face.

M-"Hey! You zoned out there. So, do you love her?"
S-"Brittany?"
M-"No, Quinn. Of course I'm talking about Brittany."
S-"I don't know. I don't know about anything, about love or what that kiss meant or anything."
M-"Really? That's okay. I'm not sure about love right now either."

S-"Who are you talking about?"
M-"Sam. Blonde boy?"
S-"I think I've seen him. Yeah, he's cute."
M-"He's more than cute. He makes me laugh, more than I've ever laughed before. And he's smart, but in a totally different way from everyone else. And when we're together, it's like everything in the world is complete."

S-"Wow, I don't think that you're confused about anything. You, unlike me, are so obviously in love with Sam. What's there to be confused about?"
M-"We went out for coffee last week. But I'm not sure if it was a date or not. And I don't want to push it, by asking him. He was my best friend first. And I'm worried that he still sees me as his best friend. I want to be his girlfriend, and move on. But what if he doesn't see me the same way, and we lose our friendship?"

S-"Mercedes, you have nothing to worry about. Just talk about it with Sam. If you really are best friends, then he won't drop you or be weird. And maybe he feels the same way."
M-"Maybe."

She's quiet for a minute, and I can see her working things through in her head. Then she hits the bed with her palm and and bursts back into life.
M-"Santana! I'm sorry, we've completely gone off topic. We were here to talk about you."
S-"Only because you wanted to."
M-"Exactly. And I want to find out the gossip."
S-"The problem with this is, I don't know about love or anything. And I'm willing to bet that Brittany doesn't either."
M-"You can discover it together. Like a movie or something."
S-"You think that she'll want to do that?"
M-"No, but you can try."
S-"There's no point. I'm going home."
M-"Home? Like, back to your dads girlfriend and to your mansion."
S-"Yes."
M-"Why?"
S-"So I can grieve and cry and be comforted by people who understand me, who I know. Not by random gang members who, although some of them are sweet, are completely unable to make me feel better or care for me."
M-"I'm sorry you feel that way. But we're doing our best. I'll arrange your journey home."
S-"No, Mercedes, I'm sorry. I didn't mean-"
M-"I'll leave you alone, Miss Lopez."