15

Brittany's POV
When Santana got dragged away by Quinn, I decided to do some work. It takes my mind off things, and it's productive. So I got out of bed, walked through to my office, turned on my computer and started working. At first I just answered emails from my clients, and sorted out shipments. Easy stuff. But then I realised there was one more really important thing I had to do. Arrange for Santana to go home.

I went through my list of warehouses I use for these type of exchanges, and found one just outside of Lima. It's abandoned, but easy to access. I'll drive Santana there, drug her so she can't fight me or try to stay or run away, then call Marie and let her know that Santana is free. It's shit that I'm not getting  any money out of this, but it can't be helped. If the person who had the money died, it's not fair to ask his family for it.

I write down the plan on paper in my notepad, then I type it onto the computer. I always make two copies. Always have, always will. Then I realise that I have to tell Santana. I honestly don't know what her reaction is going to be. She might cry, or smile, or be angry, or just have no emotion at all. I don't know. I'm not good at reading people, apart from Quinn.

Why am I even worrying about this? All I need to do is walk downstairs, tell her that she's going home, come back here and give out orders. Simple as that. And I can numb myself from other peoples emotions. I've gotten so good at doing it, now I genuinely don't pick up on them. Unless it's really obvious, like crying.

I get off my chair and start to walk downstairs. First I go into the kitchen. She isn't there, but Mike and Sam are. When they see me standing in the doorway, barely a second passes before they get out of their chairs and run over to hug me. Sam rests his chin on top of my head and rubs my back.

S-"Oh god, Brittany. I'm so sorry. I was meant to protect you, but-"
B-"Sam, save it. You stuck to what I told you, which was to stay in your position under the stairs. And you stopped them getting into our technical supplies. Anyway, I'm fine."
S-"Are you sure?"
B-"Yeah, totally."
M-"Have you taken a break from working?"
B-"I-well, I did, but-"

M-"Brittany, it's not healthy for you to work all the time. You need a break."
B-"I had a break. Now I need to go find Santana, and tell her that I've arranged for her to go home."
M-"At least promise me that you'll have a proper break after this."
S-"Yeah, for at least a week."
B-"Ugh, fine. See you."

I leave the kitchen before they can try convince me to do anymore ridiculous things. Take a break for a week? That's just stupid. Imagine all the money I could lose, all the money we could lose. Do they not realise that if I don't work, nothing works? They mean well, I know that, but I can't take a break. Not until all this Lopez business is safely over. Although, to be honest, I won't even take a break after that.

I'm not a workaholic. But doing this job, it helps me focus all my nervous energy into something. In school, before I dropped out, I was a top achiever because I needed the escape. I would do anything for extra credit. I took up sports, joined the debate team. I was even in something called the Glee club. That was, until my parents literally did nothing and I had to spend all day out working so that we could eat. But I never lost that need to do..something.

If Santana wasn't in the kitchen, she's probably in Mercedes' room. So I walk down another set of stairs, and get to her room. It's on the lowest level, apart from the basement. She had her pick of any room, but she chose the one closest to ground level. A fear of heights, which only me and Sam know about. Funny how strong confident people, like Mercedes, still have their insecurities.

The door is open, and I can hear sniffling coming from inside. Santana is curled up at Mercedes side, crying into her while talking in a quiet and shaky voice. Mercedes is trying to comfort her, but it doesn't seem to be working. I don't want to hear what they were talking about, in case it's about me, so I clear my throat. They both turn towards me, even Santana stops crying.