Chapter 16 | No more wishes for him

The class went on for hours and it happened to be the only lecture Joanne had. The other class got cancelled on account of the lecturer having measles. English class was fun. For the first time ever Joanne didn't feel the urge to doze off during class and it was all thanks to Subomi, Jim and Jordan. But today is gonna be the last day, Joanne reminded herself. They were sophomores and they would go back to their normal classes. This was goodbye then.

"Alright it was fun guys but I have to go now, bye." Joanne said.

"Bye." They smiled at her and she returned the gesture. Her smile subdued as Cory walked up to them. He didn't bother to hide his bittered expression.

"Hey."

Joanne passed by him almost immediately. One she was pissed. Two she wasn't in the mood to talk to him. Three she was too tired to argue with him. It was also best that she left. Now Cory could explain satisfactorily why he had ignored them without worrying about Joanne disturbing him.

Joanne went straight ahead and made a sharp turn. Amanda came out of nowhere and bumped into her. Joanne fell with a thud. Cory flinched. For a moment Joanne was scared but when she found out it was Amanda and she blocked her path for nothing in particular Joanne frowned. "Out of my way Amanda."

She scoffed. "Out of my way? How about something a little less rude."

Amanda tried to poke her forehead. Out of reflex and anger Joanne shoved Amanda away from the door, hard. "Sorry, not sorry." Then she opened the door and left.

Amanda huffed as she screamed at people closest to her to help her get up. She felt embarrassed. Joanne had just pushed her in front of half of the whole class. Where the hell did that girl even get her energy from? Amanda heard Jim, Subomi, Jordan and Cory subtle chuckles. It drove her nuts. Okay that was it. Joanne had just declared war and it was down to one-zero.

Joanne got to the dorms around four pm. It took her no effort in climbing the stairs. She had gotten used to the amount of stairs on the way to the last floor. Patricia was surprisingly seated but not on her bed this time, on her chair.

"You keep getting here before me. I'm starting to think you'll beat me at being punctual this semester."

Patricia grinned. "No way. Okay way. I'm determined to be punctual and get good grades this time. I've turned a new leaf."

Then she added. "I even stopped hanging out with some people."

"Yeah no kidding. What the hell happened with you?"

"I decided to act more like my zodiac sign, virgo. And I was stuck with my ex for the project so I had some reconsiderations about everything."

"Your ex? You mean the guy that-" Joanne stopped herself. She didn't want to overstep in Patricia's private life. Especially because she wouldn't want the same done to her.

"It's okay, you can say it. The one that dumped me."

Joanne recoiled. She wasn't going to say that. Just then she thought about the bomb Patricia just dropped. She started to connect the dots. The person Patricia had presented the project with wasn't just anybody, it was-

"Jim Robert. I never told you his name cause I didn't want you ripping his hair out. In case you don't remember you were very ticked off that day. But it's not like you don't know now. He's the one you sat with throughout the class."

Joanne slapped both hands over her mouth to avoid screaming. For some reason she felt a pang of guilt. "No way."

Patricia shrugged. A glint of sadness in her irises. "It's whatever. I saw you sitting with them and I felt betrayed but then I realized I never told you he was the one."