Chapter One - The start

**Notes before you begin reading**

~This book has gone through a round of editing.

~I took some world-building ideas from one of my favorite book series, all characters are my own, the plot is my own

~TW; This is a reverse harem/polyamorous relationship with fast-forming relationships, knife play, and blood. It does have sex scenes, and mild gore so it is 18+!

Do you remember those old commercials with the woman laying on the couch in a dim room facing towards the back of the couch because she was depressed? As a kid, I didn't fully understand that, but in the past few years, I do now, especially now

Do you remember those old commercials with the woman laying on the couch in a dim room facing towards the back of the couch because she was depressed? As a kid, I didn't fully understand that, but in the past few years, I do now, especially now. Now I struggle to get out of bed, most of the time I lay in bed, sometimes I read, sometimes I watch Netflix, always to try and escape the thoughts from forming in my head. Always to escape what might happen in the future.

Because I have no future.

My mother and I moved into my grandparent's house when I was 14. My grandpa died when I was 16, his funeral happened the day before my junior year so I dropped out. My mother went back to work because she didn't want to be a burden on my grandma, so I stayed home to take care of her. Because after my grandpa died, her dementia took a nosedive. She died four years later when a leg infection spread to her organs. We could have saved her, but amputating a dementia patient's leg, someone who was very independent and strong seemed cruel.

After that, we moved into the cheapest apartment we could find, because my aunt couldn't move us out fast enough. That apartment ended up being hell on earth. Our neighbor was a drug dealer, and our other neighbor pissed off a different drug dealer and that guy shot up his apartment. Yes, you heard me right. The guy in the apartment across the hall from us knowingly pissed off a violent gangbanger drug dealer and got his apartment shot up. Luckily neither my mom or I or the people above him were hurt, he wasn't either. He was evicted though. Replaced by a couple that fought loudly almost every night. I think that was the scariest thing that happened, but not the last horrible thing that happened.