Chapter Seven

Caine had told me that he indeed has to eat while in this realm

Caine had told me that he indeed has to eat while in this realm. When I asked him what he wanted, he didn't know because food had changed a lot since he was last here. So I went to the grocery store, grabbed a good amount of snack foods I liked, then went to a place called Baba's. It's one of the best restaurants that was kind of fast food, that's only a few blocks from my uncle's house. I ended up ordering so much that I could have been catering a small party.

When I get home, my uncle's car is gone, Thursday, the day he goes out to his sisters and plays poker. I at least don't have to deal with talking to him for an hour when all I want to do is eat and grill Caine for information. I made my way inside, and dropped off some food with my mom, with her happy and occupied. I didn't have to worry about her coming into my room. Armed with a bunch of food, I grab a TV tray I keep stocked in my room. The food I can fit on it goes there, and the snacks on my dresser.

Caine appears on my bed, I move to sit next to him on my bed in front of my desk and I open my laptop. "What do you know about the world as it is now?"

"Only what I have seen," Caine answers me, he starts pulling food out of the bag. "I am a fast learner, but I do need to be refreshed on things."

"Then we will watch some TV shows," I told him. Then I realized he might not even know what the fuck a laptop is. How do you explain the internet to someone? "TV shows are like plays, but you can capture it on a device and replay it on a screen. Technology has come so far you don't even need actors, you can just have people draw and paint and make movies or shows like that."

By the twisting of his face, I didn't make much sense, I would struggle to explain things to him. "I'm not sure how to explain things. I'm not sure how it works, but I can try."

Turning to the laptop I turn it on. "Laptops are small portable computers, computers let you do a whole lot of things, from talking to other people sort of face to face, to talking over super fast mail. You can watch plays, movies, TV shows, you can play games."

"It's powered by electricity," Caine said and I nod looking over at him. He had pulled out all the containers placing them on the bed in front of him where he sat back without shoes and his legs crossed. "I had heard small things when with your father, electricity was explained, cars were explained, large scale plumbing was explained. Most things I'm seeing are not."