Chapter Twenty-Nine

Waking up again in the hallway I hope that this is one of the last times

Waking up again in the hallway I hope that this is one of the last times. Not because I don't want to visit Rue anymore, but because I want to find her. I'm hoping Keith and Laura will find out something soon. Moving down the hall and through the closed door I find her, this time she's in the middle of her bed. Her knees are pulled up, her face buried between her knees, and her arms wrapped around her legs. Her arms and legs are both bare, allowing me to see the colorful bruises on the skinny limbs and my heart feels like it breaks seeing her like this.

Slowly I move over to her, my hand going out to touch her arm but my fingers just pass through. Her shoulders tense up and then relax. "I can smell you here."

Well, that's something to note. "I'm working on finding you."

"Why?" The question is mumbled into her legs.

"Because no one should be put through something like this," I said as I run my transparent fingers over the large bruise on her arm. Goosebumps follow my fingers and she shivers before looking up. Her face is that of a child, she had tried so hard before to hide everything. Now it was just the face of a broken child. "I have a close relationship with the shifter pack near me, they are going to be looking into where you could be."

Rue's eyes cast down and her shoulders tense up to her ears. "I don't want to go to a pack."

"When I find you, you can decide where you go," I tell her and her shoulders drop but her eyes stay down. "Is there anything you can tell me to give me an idea of where you are?"

Rue shakes her head. "I haven't left the house and just outside of the garden since I got here. There are just woods around the house."

The woods help, it means she's not in a city or at least close enough for her to notice. "Is there anything else you can tell me?"

Rue starts to shake her head then stops. She seems to think over something and decide as she looks up at me. "My parents sold me to her."