Chapter 56 | bike ride

You sat in a maid cafe. Yes, a maid cafe.

After leaving the truck to make a run for it, you stopped for food and L has bought something electrical. He seemed to know what he was doing but you had no idea what was happening with that thing.

He also bought boy a robot toy he seemed to like.

Boy sat in your lap, putting sugar cubes in patterns. L sat opposite you, messing with those electric things while drowning ten packs of sugar in his coffee. Maki sat beside you, eating like a normal person.

You must look like one disaster of a family to outsiders.

"He's strange" Maki said, watching boy.

"He's a mathematical genius. Those are equations" L replied, reaching over and fixing a mistake on the sugar cube pattern for boy.

"You two need to stop playing with your food. It's bad manners" Maki said.

"I tell him that, he doesn't listen" you added.

L and boy ignored your words and continued with their fiddling.

"Are you dating L?" Maki asked.

"Yeah. We've known each other since we were kids. Don't worry, I know he's weird. But I find it oddly charming" you replied.

L smiled a bit upon hearing your praise of him.

"He's not very good at emotions..." maki observed.

"He's much better with me. It's new people he's not the best at. Give him time"

"What's he doing?"

"No idea. I leave him to his nerd stuff"

L stopped his fiddling with the electronics to have you a playful glare.

"I'm a nerd? You're the one who topped the class and fell on the radar to be a successor of mine" he sassed.

"You're the worlds greatest detective" you sassed back.

"Touché. And this isn't nerd stuff, it's a strobe bomb and trackers. Just in case"

"Oohhh, I see what you're getting at"

You looked down at boys patterns, you didn't understand a single sugar cube of it. Math wasn't your strong point. You solved kidnapping cases and helped L with murder ones, not decoded math.

"L make a mental image of this. He seems to be making this pattern a lot" you said.

"Oh so you think it means something too? I can't tell if K gave it to him or if he copied it off something back at the village but I'll take note of it"

Boy didn't speak much. He seemed pretty socially isolated, and he was quite young. Not to mention the language barrier, but he was clearly super smart for his age. He'd fit in at wammys.

"Alright we need to head out. We can't waste time" L said, downing the last of his coffee and getting up.

"And you think we can make it back to Watari and Suruga on foot?" You asked.

"No, I'll get bikes to get us out of the city. Then we'll have to take the train up to the rendezvous point"

You got up, taking boy with you and maki grabbed her teddy and bag and began to follow you out of the cafe. You quickly found a bike shop and L ran in to get three bikes, one for him, one for you, one for maki. Boy was small enough to sit in the basket of one. As he was getting them, your phone beeped and you were met with another problem. He planned on changing the gears to make them faster too.

It was Watari, informing you that the police have been informed of a potential infectious girl out and about on the streets. Maki no doubt. Blue ship weren't backing down.

"God damnit-"

"What now?" L said, handing your bike. 

You showed him your phone and he read the message over.

"Great. Now we have to avoid police too" he sighed, lifting boy into his basket.

All on bikes, you began to ride in the direction out of the city. As you were riding, an idea suddenly came into your head.

"WAIT-" you exclaimed.

Everyone stopped and looked back at you.

"Disguises" you said.

"We don't have the time now, but once we get off the train we need to stop someone for hats and sunglasses and whatever we can use to disguise ourselves. If the police know about Maki and blue ship are on our tail we can sneak past them all if we pretend to be someone else"  you explained.

"Good idea, we have no time now we need to get out of the city. But the second we're off the train-" L replied.

"If we're getting hats can I have a Hanahin tigers one?" Maki asked.

"Sure if they have any. Why?" You asked.

"Because that's my team! Every Osakan goes for them"

That's right, she was from Osaka. She even had the dialect now you thought about it.

"I've never understood going for a team based on where you live..." L mumbled.

"You don't understand a lot of social things don't you?" Maki sassed.

"I get that a lot"

You began to ride again, but now the topic of conversation was on Maki being from Osaka. At least it was a nice change from the looming presence of blue ship.

"Did you know I knew Misa Misa before she debuted? She was my neighbour!" Maki bragged.

That sentence almost gave L whiplash.

"You did?" He said.

"Yep! We even went on family trips together!"

"...I'm jealous" L pouted.

L did sound green with envy. Everyone in Japan knew the new famous j pop star Misa Amane. And being secretly a bit of a jpop nerd L has turned into a bit of a fanboy recently.

"Look at this simp-" you teased.

"I'm not a simp! I simply enjoy her music and fashion choice" L replied.

You and Maki looked at each other with a smirk as you rode along side each other. She could tell he was a fanboy just from the reaction he had to her fun fact.

"He's a simp" you said.

"Yep" maki agreed.

"(Y/n) the only girl I simp for is you. I simply like her music" L said.

"Ok mister merchandise collection"

Maki snickered at your banter, her mood lightened by it.

"(Y/n) would I ever leave you for a pop star. You know that, I simp for you and you only" he assured.

"I know. You'd be a mess with me. Admit you're a fanboy though" you replied.

"...ok maybe I'm a bit of a fanboy..."