Chapter 63 | safety

Finally. Fucking finally.

You'd been running for what felt like weeks, but in reality was about two days. And finally you'd made it to the lab where Dr Matsdo worked. L knew he would be a good choice as he'd worked with Makis father, and knew Watari.

He definitely wasn't expecting you, L, Maki, Boy, Watari and Suruga to show up out of the blue. He didn't even know a few of you.

And, he wasn't too happy with how L had  handled the situation.

"You took an INFECTED PERSON across Japan? What were you thinking?" He exclaimed, snaking L on the head with a rolled up newspaper.

"It's not like I had much choice. It was either run when we did or have her captured by blue ship. She isn't showing any symptoms and it was a weak strain of the virus" L replied.

Dr Matsudo sighed and looked up Watari, wondering how the hell he managed to get into this situation.

"When you said you were raising a kid at one of your orphanages I didn't think it'd be L. And I didn't think he'd cross paths with Maki... this situation just keeps getting stranger..." he said.

"I'm aware this reunion is a rather strange one, but you're the only one who can make an antidote. You worked with Makis father correct?" Watari replied.

"Yes... but I stopped working in the felid after a vaccine I made caused side effects"

"But it still did the job right? Surely you can make something" you said.

Dr Matsudo didn't even know Watari was raising L, let alone that L had a girlfriend. So he really didn't know anything about you when you walked in.

"I can try, but if I'm correct the solution was missing an ingredient right? And they didn't have it. So unless we have that we can't be sure it'll work" He replied.

"L you're smart, you can help find the missing part right?" You asked.

"I'm a detective not a chemist. But I can try..." L added.

Dr Matsudo took the case files you'd run off with to try and find something he could use as a lead to find the missing ingredient. Surely there'd be something in the notes Makis dad made right?

Maki in question was off taking a shower, after the whole running off ordeal she hadn't had the chance. No one had, you'd all need one today. Boy was occupying himself with the chalkboard on the wall in the lab. Again, he was trying to solve that equation he'd been trying to do for the past few days. He seemed pretty determined.

It was impressive how mathematically advanced he was for his age really. You had no idea what he was trying to solve.

"Guys..."

Turning to the door, you saw Maki. Her hair was still damp from her shower and she seemed dazed.

"Quarantine me..." she said.

Watari and Dr Matsudo rushed over to her to check for symptoms. On the back of her shoulder was a red rash, and to everyones relief...

"It's just a mosquito bite" Dr Matsudo said.

"Probably from going through the woods" Watari added.

"Still, we should monitor her closely. Even if the strain was weak it can still mutate, best case scenario she only gets some sniffles, worst case she ends up like the victims at the village. We can't take chances"

As everyone was busy fussing over maki, your phone rang and when you looked at the number you saw it was a blocked one. You stepped into the other room to answer it, unsure who it'd be.

"Hello?" You asked.

"(Y/n)! You answered!"

"Matt?"

"And me" Mellos voice said.

"Me too" Near added.

It was like midnight over in England... how the hell was Roger letting them do this? Unless...

"You're up past lights out behind the staffs back huh?" You asked.

"Mayyybeee... we're calling from a burner phone so no one can trace us too. We know it's dangerous to call when you're in cases but we saw that there's a potential outbreak of something in Japan and wanted to make sure you were ok" Matt said.

"We're fine. Nothing had broken out, it was a false alarm. We have s someone with a very weak version of the virus with us but she has no symptoms and we're in a controlled lab"

"Oh good, so you and L are ok?" Near asked.

"We're fine"

Sighs of relief could be heard from the other side of the phone. You smiled, comforted by the fact they cared about you enough to check on you. Actually... while you have them on the phone...

"While I've got you guys... when this is over we'll be bringing two kids a bit younger than you back with us" you said.

"New kids? Two at the same time as well? That doesn't happen often" Mello replied.

"One was rescued form the village by K, there's a bit of a language barrier but he's ridiculously smart. He doesn't have a name so you three better start thinking of something for him, L and I couldn't think of anything so hopefully you can come up with something"

"What have you been calling him in the meantime?" Near asked.

"Boy"

"Well... I guess it's not as strange as your name being a letter. No shade to L but-" Matt said.

You snickered slightly. Even L would admit he has a rathe out of the ordinary name, a single letter doesn't happen often.

"The other one is a bit older and her dad was killed during this case. Once she'd been through recovery for this virus she'll come back with us. Her name is Maki, I'm sure you can introduce her to Linda so she has some girls for friends" you explained.

"They can both join our friend group for sure. If anyone tries to hurt them I'll beat them up" Mello said.

"You try to beat me up and I don't do anything..." Near sassed.

"Shut up Near I barely touched you"

"Ok- let's not start this now. Mum, tell dad we can't wait to see you guys again. And to bring us back presents" Matt jumped in.

You and L weren't too fond of kids, but the ones you practically raised? You had a soft spot for them. You were still getting used to them calling you mum and dad. You and L seemed to have a soft spot for kids that come from traumatic backgrounds as you could sympathise with them better. Probably why you were already protective of Maki and Boy.

"I'll tell him. Look I gotta go we have an antidote to make. And you boys better get off the phone before Roger catches you and roasts your asses" you said.

"Ok, we just wanted to make sure you were ok. We'll go to bed, bye!"

"Bye!"

"Come back quick!"

With that, they hung up and left you with a smile on your face. Heading back into the lab, L was waiting for you in curiosity.

"Who was that?" He asked.

"The boys say hi dad, bring us back presents" you replied.

A slight smile cracked on L's face. He could get used to 'dad' if it was coming from them. You loved that they could make L smile, especially after that depressive episode he was in. Seeing L smile made you smile.

He snickered slightly, realising what time it was in Winchester.

"It's way past lights out for them, Roger is going to roast their asses"