Chapter 21 | small steps

A/n: GUYS. I'VE BEEN IN THIS FANDOM FOR LITERALLY ALMOST 4 YEARS. I KNOW LAWLIET IS MEANT TO BE PRONOUNCED LOW-LIGHT. I PREFER LAW-LEE-ET BC I'M AUSSIE AND THATS HOW WE SAY IT. YOU CAN STOP COMMENTING NOW.

Edit: it's been 7 years in this fandom and people still tell me this.

Relationships. Something pretty new to both you and L, considering you only just started one last night.

That night before you went to bed, you pulled out your case file from under the floorboards and wrote down everything that had happened in the time you were handcuffed to L.

The realisation of feelings and the start of a relationship, the clues that flew over your head, everything.

But now there was a bit of a new question to be answered. You started the file when you were 5 with the intention of finding out why you found L so interesting. And now that you knew it should be case closed right? Wrong.

This case wouldn't be closed until you knew everything there was to know about L and every single one of your questions was answered. Of course you had small questions that you could just ask him point blank, but there was one bigger question that started to but you while you were handcuffed to him.

You know that you love each other... but what was he hiding?

You'd been around him for over 10 years. You knew he was hiding something... or perhaps he didn't even know what it was yet. So this file would still be ongoing until you found that out.

The next morning, you awoke to the sun shining on your face and rudely waking you up. You'd gone back to sleeping in your own rooms and it was strange not having L at the end of a pair of handcuffs. But hey, you were dating now weren't you? If he was comfortable enough you could straight up cuddle with him and fall asleep together.

You never actually did that when you were handcuffed because for some reason he was always awake when you burned out, and when he burned out you were awake. If the two of you weren't already awake one would be up and one would be asleep. This relationship was only a night old, so maybe it was too soon. Small steps. That's all you needed.

You got up and walked out into the halls, going to get L up for breakfast. You knocked on his door and paused to yawn before speaking.

"Oi eyebags, get up its time for breakfast" you said.

"Hold on" he replied from behind the door.

You could hear him get up and almost trip over a computer chord, making you sigh and just shake your head. Typical. He opened the door and you gave him a tired smile.

"Good morning" you said.

"Good morning" he replied.

It was silent for a moment, he seemed like he was contemplating something. You suddenly felt him place a quick kiss on your cheek, making you giggle. He was so naive when it came to love. You could tell he was thinking 'that's what you're meant to do right?' You stood up on your tip toes to reach his height and returned the action by placing a kiss on his cheek.

"Come on, I wanna get the pancakes before anyone else does" you said, grabbing his hand and pulling him toward the kitchen-dining area where you saw a few kids already up and eating.

Including B.

You walked over and went to go sit with him.

"Hey demon boy" You joked.

"What's popin loser" he replied.

"I'm guessing you were up all night studying?"

"Yep, you two were up all night too huh?"