Chapter 31 | a fatherly bond

You were officially 18, and L wasn't far behind. Now that you were a legal adult, you were technically allowed to leave the orphanage, but you weren't going to just yet. You had to wait until L was 18, and keep helping the boys a little more.

Maybe a few more years at the orphanage, until the boys grow up a bit more. As much as you hated kids, you really had grown to love those boys, they always had something funny to say, always wanted to play and were so exited to learn. Matt was definitely the peacekeeper, Mello and Near would always get into arguments and Matt would always be the one to make the peace. Near was really improving too, once he got into the swing of things, and his fear of being yelled at went away, he was a learning machine, already above his year level.

After a long day of playing hide and seek with them, you came back to your room to wrap up a case and of course, where a case was, L was. He was watching over your shoulder at your work, pointing out details to add into the case file to send off to court.

"That's seems to be it" You said, saving the document and sending it off.

"Case closed?" L asked.

"Case closed"

You stretched out your arms and stood up, getting away from your desk that has made your joints hurt from sitting so long and flopping onto the bed in the darkness. It was about midnight by now and you were starting to get drowsy. L sat next to you, not as tired as you were because he just never seems to be in need of sleep.

"Hey"

He turned to look down at you.

"Come here" you said, opening your arms for him.

He was still so shy about contact, his cheeks went red but he complied and wrapped his arms around you. He rested his head on your chest and you kept him tightly in your arms.

"You know it's been almost 6 months now, you don't have to be so shy" you giggled.

"I guess I'm still not used to the whole relationship thing... but I love it" he replied.

You smiled, happy he was making progress with his emotions.

"This is... cuddling isn't it?" He questioned.

Wow he really doesn't know these things does he?

"Yes, it is. Let me guess, you like it?" You replied.

"...yes"

You giggled, loving how cute his cluelessness to love was.

"You're so clueless about at this, it's cute"

"S-shut up"

You smiled, placing a kiss on his forehead.

The silent orphanage was suddenly not so silent as you heard the sounds of creaking floorboards outside. Someone was awake, but who at this hour. You didn't expect those footsteps to lead to your door and for the door to open. You jumped at the unexpected noise and turned to face the door.

It was Mello, Why was he up so late? He seemed... distressed.

You both sat up, wondering why he was awake this late.

"Mello?" You questioned.

He ran over to the bed and climbed up, diving into L's arms.

"U-uh..." L stammered, not knowing what to do.

He looked over at you for help, it was obvious something was bothering the child and you nodded at L, telling him he had to act.

"What's wrong? Why are you up this late?" He asked.