Chapter 47 | digging deeper

You knew what you'd be doing tomorrow onward. Helping L come to terms with his past and get over as much as he can. With the blue ship case right around the corner, he needed to really clear his head of all the things that re-surfaced during LABB.

You'd gotten a good head start on blue ship so far. From the looks of things, you'd have to go to Japan sometime soon in order to cover it. You and Watari dealt with setting all that up after forcing L to take a break.

All you needed was an update from K and a progression in the case. That boy K sent for you was yet to call you as well.

But right now you sat in Matt's dark room with him as he scanned wammys databases for information on Mello and Near pre-wammys. You'd covered L, and you had an action plan for him. But you wanted to help Mello and Near too as they are L's successors and one day may end up in a similar position as L.

"I think I got something" Matt said, finding a group of files from around the time the three arrived at wammys.

He pulled one up, inside contained records on Near.

"Knew it, I'm guessing all entry records are filed the same" Matt muttered.

Scrolling through it, you both read over the records

Name: Nate River
Age: 3
Date of birth: 4/8/1991
Number: 0019
Sex: male
Weight: 14kg
Height: 95cm
Hair: white
Eyes: grey
Ethnicity: unsure

Previous establishments: Winchester child protection holding home.

Allergies: n/a
Medications: n/a
History of seizures/tics/black outs: n/a
Disabilities: n/a
Mental disorders: investigation and diagnosis needed.

Notes: Nate is a difficult case. His birth parents seem to have fled the country, after leaving him at daycare and not returning to pick him up. He's very quiet and timid but extremely smart and well spoken for his age. He doesn't really know what happened to him, and when questioned didn't seem to understand what was going on with his birth parents. If I was to make guess I'd theorise neglect was a part of it. He doesn't seem to show any signs of physical abuse or living in an outwardly unstable home. But he's spend most of his life alone, claiming to have only really interacted with his parents when being fed and bathed.

When asked about things like bedtime stories, birthday parties, games and just parental bonding activities he has no recollection of it. It's possible he may have been the result of an accidental pregnancy or relationship drama such as a one night stand or cheating partner that resulted in him being unwanted and thus neglected. His parents only doing the bare minimum to keep him alive.

His behaviour is solitary and repetitive, maybe trauma maybe nurodivergency, maybe both. A diagnosis is needed.

"Woah, so that's why he doesn't remember anything... there isn't anything too remember" Matt said.

"God I'll never understand parents like that... that's a whole human child you just gave birth too and you can't even be bothered to tell them a bedtime story or play a game?" You sighed.

"He probably didn't even feel like his parents were his parents. I hope he knows now that people care for him..."

"I hope he knows he's my mother fuckin baby and I'll be a better mother than that to him"

Matt snickered at your comment.

"What? You adopting us all?"

"Yes I've now unofficially adopted you guys. I hope you like having a new mum"