Chapter 34 | B's return

There was no other person it could be. B was the only one who knew what L looked like that was outside the orphanage. So he hasn't died when he ran away...

"He... killed someone?" L questioned.

"Who's that victim?" You asked.

He pulled up a case file and read it over.

Believe Bridesmaid
Gender: Male
Age: 44
Cause of death: Asphyxiation
Wara Ningyo found at the scene.

"What the heck is a Wara Ningyo?"

"It's like a Japanese voodoo doll, made from some kind of straw a believe. It says here that a crossword with a code in it was sent to the LAPD..." L said, pulling up a copy of it.

It didn't seem like much at first, but there was definitely an encoded message to L that confirmed it was B. L was conflicted, this was his old successor, he'd... snapped. What causes him to finally lose it? Was it A's death? The successor program? Something that happened when he left?

"It seems this Naomi girl was assigned to look into the case by the FBI. She says here that she's forwarded it to me as this person claims to have connections with L, and judging from ten description of the person, it's B... dressed as me?" L explained.

"He's going by Ryuzaki... he knows you're watching. What are you going to do about it?" You asked.

"Well... we can't exactly go down to LA on such short notice, the boys still need us. But I can recruit this FBI agent to be my eyes and scope things out for me"

L began to type up a reply to the email. Usually he wasn't too interested in cases like this, but considering the killer was a former successor... he had different opinions. You couldn't believe B would do this. He always seemed so happy and carefree. Admittedly he would dissociate sometimes. He'd get this tint in his eyes, zone out on something then suddenly snap back into it. Maybe there was something wrong after all, and he hid it so well no one caught on?

"L... this is B were talking about. How does all this feel too you?" You asked.

L had never been in a situation where the killer knew him personally, and now that L has learnt to process emotions better you were curious to know what he thought of this.

"I feel... kind of guilty. But also very creeped out, I mean, he's dressed up as me and killed someone. I don't know what I did for him to hold a grudge this deep, but..." He sighed toward the end and thought for a moment "I don't know, this is weird. I feel...violated, but upset he went down this path"

You could get behind that too. While you were sad B went this far, you also felt super creeped out that he was literally dressed as your own boyfriend then killed someone.

"Do you think he'll strike again?" You asked.

"Most likely. But there's not much we can do about it I'm afraid..."

"What is he trying to achieve here?"

"Probably am unsolvable case. He wants to one up me. If I'm considered the best detective in the world, he wants to make a case even I can't solve. B was always very competitive... I just don't know how he expects to do that when he's already made it clear to me it's him. Maybe it's a psychological trick. On paper he wants the case to be unsolved, but have me know the whole time?"

It was plausible, B was always competitive and liked to one-up people. He wanted to be on top, in fact he claimed he already was. A long time ago he told you he'd never be submissive, not even to a traffic light. You replied with something along the lines of 'have fun getting into a car crash' and you both laughed about it. One cannot win on attack alone, sometimes you have to defend or you'll be damaged.

So what was he thinking here. He's leaving puzzles and clues, but has so clear motive to anyone but L. He's leaving patterns and symbolism that probably only means something to him.

You watched L type a response email, reading it over his shoulder as you thought about the whole situation. It was so unsettling to think about. B was your friend, but he's taken the life of a person. He was always so happy and now he's acting in rage.

You sighed, resting your head on L's shoulder as you watched him type.

"God B... what happened to you?"