Chapter 57 | tour across japan

You needed to get out of the city, now that the word there was a potential highly infectious person walking the streets, the police were on high alert.

The amount of times you'd had to ride down a back alley to avoid a police car was astronomical. But Maki seemed totally fine, she was balanced, breathing fine, able to ride a bike fine, had no rashes or redness. The strain she had was very weak, it'd take time for it to become active, and hopefully by then you'd be at your location.

How long had you been riding bikes now? It felt like hours. The scenery had changed, the buildings were more spaced out. You hadn't seen a police car in a while too, surely you were out of the dense city now right?

"L" Maki puffed.

You and L stopped your bikes, letting Maki catch up. She seemed tired.

"My legs are killing me, can we slow down?" She puffed.

She was still a kid, of course she wouldn't be able to handle the same physical exercise like you and L could.

"We have been riding for hours, how far out of the city are we?" You added.

Looking around, L was trying to find the best solution to this problem. There was a train station just off in the distance, and you hadn't seen a police car in ages. If you're careful, you could take the train out of the city suburbs and into the more coastal areas. From there meeting up with Watari and Suruga would be easy.

"Ok... let's take the train from here. Ride the rest of the way after that. But first we should get something to drink and like (y/n) said, some kind of disguise now the police are aware of us" L said.

"Just a few more minutes of riding ok? I'll get you guys something to drink when we stop for the train" you told Maki.

She caught her breath and got back on the bike, ready to push through the last few minutes.

"Ok" She said, and the three of you plus boy in L's front basket were off again.

You still needed to come up with a better name for him. Or track down what his birth name was, but given his whole village was bombed you didn't think you'd have any luck with that. And of course the sooner you can get him to wammys were staff could help with the language barrier the better. You finally made it up to the train station, and from one of the many vending machines you each got something to drink.

You had to scold L for picking bubble tea over water. He really had to be more healthy sometimes. At least that bike ride was good exercise. When he was younger he did tennis and capoeira, and as he got older and took more cases he wasn't able to do much sport anymore. Yet somehow he remained pretty damn strong...

If only you could get him to eat more vegetables. L and boy sat at the train station waiting for a train out of the city, while you and Maki browsed the nearby shops for anything that could obscure your appearance if the police caught up with you.

Also, you were still in your pyjamas. You had been ever since you had to run earlier this morning. So you would at least have a jacket or something to cover that up. So grabbing yourself a jacket and some cheap makeup just in case you solved that problem.

"(Y/n)!"

Turning to look over at Maki, you found she had a hanahim tigers cap in her hands.

"Oh you actually found one. Yeah you can get that" you replied.

She happily added it to the pile of stuff you had in your arms. You walked the isles of the store looking for anything else, and just to be extra careful you added a costume wig to the pile.