Chapter 45 | do you remember?

Even with your little praise day you gave L the other day he still seemed gloomy... in fact now that you really thought about it. He was rather gloomy a lot around this time of year. It worried you. Especially since it looks like you'd be going into a new case soon, a dangerous one too. Bio terrorism is no joke and if that's what's going on in this case you really needed to be careful and focused.

And if L's in this slump... there's no way he'd going to be able to solve this case.

You read the email from K, information on the case dubbed blue ship. A video file was attached, so you clicked it. God you wish you hadn't...

K detailed in the email that the terrorists were testing viruses on a secluded village in Thailand, in other words human test subjects with no antidote. The video attached shows the graphic state of the villagers sicker than death, days away from it. Some already dead, children succumbed to the deadly disease and lying dead on the paths. It was a horrible sight. They all looked like the walking dead, covered in rashes, bleeding out, unable to form sentences in too much pain, these people were as good as dead.

And the worst part, once the testing was over the village got bombed. Killing anyone still alive and the virus in the area.

Terrorists. That's exactly what these people were. What their goal was with this virus you didn't know yet, but it was so deadly the effects took place almost immediately and left people looking like a rotting corpse. You shivered are the sight and clicked out of the video, reading the rest of the email to distract yourself from what you'd just witnessed. According to K there's a boy that somehow is immune to the virus. And K had given him the number to your work phone and a code as well as his wammys necklace that contained an SD card with all known information on the blue ship. He got the boy out of the village before the bombs hit and told him to find a phone and ring you. From there you were to get him flown to Japan where you'd have to travel to for the case.

That's it, the blue ship case would kick off when that phone call came through. It could be anywhere from right now to a few days away, better not turn off your phone...

"Hey... has K contacted us yet?"

You turned and closed the laptop to see L in the doorway. You got up, grabbing his arm and pulling him out of the office into your room.

"Yes, but you aren't reading it yet" you replied.

"Why? We need to-"

"You're not doing anything until you're in a better headspace, you'll never solve the case in this mindset"

He gave you a slightly confused look. You sighed, he was smart but god did emotions go over his head sometimes.

"Look L, you're clearly having some kind of seasonal depression episode. You've been gloomy, you stay in bed all day not even sleeping just lying there, you haven't done any side cases, you're quiet... what's wrong?" You asked.

"I'm always quiet?" He replied.

"Yes but not to THIS extent"

He sighed, knowing you were right and knowing you always win arguments so there's no use fighting even if he hates loosing.

"I don't know, ok? I never know anything when it comes to myself you know that"

"And that's a problem. Did something happen around this time of year that lingers?" You asked.

"I don't know"

"Because this has so come from somewhere this behaviour doesn't just- happen?"

"I don't know..."

"L... do you not remember anything from before wammys?"

He was silent for a moment, thinking. He knew of what happened to him to get him here, but he couldn't actually remember it happening. Or what lead you to it. He was aware his birth parents sucked. He knew he was abandoned. He knew he was damaged as a kid. But he didn't remember what happened, he couldn't picture it, he couldn't recall it, he couldn't even put a date on it.

"No... I know of how I got here if that's what you mean?" He said.

"No, like... what happened that could have caused to to associate this time of year with sadness pre wammys?"

He thought, he tried, he scanned his mind big nothing came up. He didn't know. He didn't remember.

"I don't... I don't know" he sighed.

"Not even a smell or a colour or something?"

"No"

You gave him a worried look. You knew he was left with scars from his childhood pre wammys, as most kids here were. But you didn't think it went as deep as him not even remembering what his childhood house looked like, or what his parents did, or why he gets so gloomy around this time of year.

"L... you know that's a symptom of trauma right?" You said.

"I don't recall having any trauma"

"Exactly. You don't remember... I want you to try and jog the superseded memories but I don't want you to accidentally trigger something... have you ever looked into your records from coming into wammy?"

"No, I never bothered because I knew it was pointless to try and look for my birth parents later in life. They clearly didn't want me"

You had an idea, you wanted to figure out what could have happened to him to make him this way, if you could figure out the source maybe you could figure out the solution to the problem.

It was definitely something to add to the case file...

"Tell you what. I'm going to find your records and look at them myself. I'm figuring this out so you can get out of this slump. If we know why these can try and fix it. You're worrying me L... I love you and I just want you to be happy" you said.

He sighed, wrapping his arms around you and resting his head on your shoulder. You returned the hug, gently rubbing his back.

"I love you. I don't deserve you" he said.

"You deserve better than me that's for sure" you replied.

"But you are the best. That's why I don't deserve you"

"No no, you deserve love. You always have Lawliet. And if no one else gives it to you, I will"