Chapter 39 | history

Well, looks like you had to tell them. You knew it would happen one day. You just hoped it didn't scare them about the whole successor thing.

"You know the bedroom at the end of the hall thats stayed closed for years?" You asked.

"Yeah the locked one? Some of the older kids said it's haunted" Matt replied.

Well... that didn't take many years to manifest rumours...

"Well, there was once a successor that stayed there. But he had lots of unresolved mental health issues and eventually couldn't take the pain of it anymore. He took his life in that room... I was the one that saw the body first..."

The boys stayed silent. They didn't expect that. They knew one of L's previous successors had died but they didn't know how. And they definitely didn't think it happened on the grounds of the orphanage.

"It was me, L and B the one that we're after now. We saw him first. They had to send all the kids to their rooms and lock us down for the morning so the police and an ambulance could come. We were questioned, but they ruled it as it was, a suicide"

"So... you were friends with him?" Near asked.

"Yeah, L and I were friends with both of them. But B took it the worst, I think it might have to do with all the stuff going on with him now. The room was left untouched and locked ever since. It wouldn't be fit to have another child stay in a room where someone has died. That's why every year on a specific day there's white lilies outside that door, as a memorial"

The boys looked at each other, the mood shifted to somber. They didn't really know what to say.

"And that's why we changed the successor program. We realised that potential successors with mental health problems might not be able to handle the extra work and classes but are still capable of becoming a successor. And of course there's the extra mental health support put into the orphanage now. That's all because of A. After he left us we didn't want any repeats"

"Jeez... I didn't realise the orphanage even had an event like that. What about B? The guy you're chasing?" Mello said.

"Well, he'd be in his early 20s now. We knew him as teenagers and he was a very capable successor. A bit... off, but nothing to alarming. He would mention lifespans and seeing numbers sometimes so maybe he has some form of undiagnosed psychosis? Anyway, after A died he got kind of distant. He and A were inseparable, the best of friends. Came to the orphanage around the same time and would do everything together. But something must have gotten to him... because one day he ran away, left a note that basically said it wasn't our fault but he needed to leave. A search was launched, but no sign of him or a body was found so he just remained missing for years. Until now. He sent a code in a crossword to the LAPD, when tracked, a body was discovered..."

"He killed people?!" Matt gasped.

"Yeah, three people. An FBI agent was sent to work under L. She'd done amazingly at relaying everything back to us, and sure enough it's B. I don't know how he got from Winchester to LA, or how long he's been there. But a few days ago he tried to set himself on fire to kill himself. The FBI agent caught him and got him first though. He's arrested, but in hospital with severe burns. We don't know why he did it yet, we don't know what his sentence will be yet, probably life in prison though. So we're going over to LA in a few days to close the case. Talk to him, find out what the hell happened to his head. He was such a smart, sweet person I can't understand why he'd do this. But... killers look just like everyone else so who knows how long he's been contemplating this..."

"You guys will be safe right? The police will be there with you?" Mello asked.

"Yeah, we'll be talking to him in an interrogation room. He'll be handcuffed and we'll be watched behind a one way window, so they can see what happens but won't be able to hear us talk about Wammys" you explained.

"Just... come back safe ok?" Near said.

"We will, don't worry"

This is the first case you and L have had to actually leave the country for. And with how much you babied these boys over the years you understood why they were worried. Honestly you were a bit worried yourself, but you knew B wouldn't hurt you. It was just scary knowing what he'd done when you once knew him as a chill, laid back friend that's fun to be around.

"Well, I hope this hasn't scared you off the successor program. L needs some backup other than me after all" you said.

"We're fine don't worry about us. Plus you fixed the program after everything happened so..." Mello replied.

"That's good. Wouldn't want to loose you three too"

"Oh we aren't going anywhere. Not after all the bets we've made with you guys we need to win" Matt joked.

Matt, always finding a way to lighten the mood of a somber situation. That kid had a talent for making people smile.

"Alrighty guys. I'll leave you to go take class. L and I have to organise flights, we'll help with your mock cases later today"

Reaching over the table and playfully ruffling their hair, they jokingly wined in response.

"Jeez what are you, our mum? We get it, you can go" Mello said.

You laughed and waved them off to go find L and Watari. You hoped those boys would be strong. A and B were, but it seems they needed a big more of a push. Together those three are unstoppable, you really hoped nothing tore the apart. You loved them, you cared for them. And at this point... you kind of were like a mother figure to them. Honestly if one day they started to call you mum, you wouldn't even mind. You knew those boys could do amazing things, as long as they stuck together...