Chapter 27 | B breaks

It was time to get B off his ass and give him his next practice case. You made your ways down the halls and up to B's room. Before you knocked you realised he may be at the park. He usually goes there on Sundays since it was when he and A would go out. You walked up to the window and looked outside where the park was. The swings were empty but swung in the breeze, no sign of B, meaning he must be in his room.

You walked back to the door and knocked on it.

"B, we got your next practice case!" You said.

No response. You instantly got uneasy, after the A incident, hearing nothing was worrying.

"B? I'm coming in?"

You pushed the door open to find his room empty, but absolutely trashed. Clothes on the floor, open drawers, cupboard open and stuff all over the place.

"B?"

You walked further into his room, no sign of him. But... his window was open. You looked around the room, his bag was gone too.

Then it hit you.

"No..." you mumbled.

You frantically looked around the room for any sign of him.

"This isn't funny you can come out now!" You awkwardly laughed.

Something on his desk caught your eye, a letter.

You picked it up and read it.

I'm not dead. A wouldn't want that... but I have something to do.

(Y/n), you and L will live long lives, I can see it. Your lifespans are really long. Please keep yourself safe.

L, I don't know man. As much as I appreciate the opportunity to work with you, and all you've done for us... I don't know.

I know what I'm doing, don't bother looking for me.

I'm not dead I promise.

-Beyond Birthday.

"No, no, no!" You said, running down the halls and into the classroom L was setting up computers in.

"B'S GONE!"

"What?" He asked, confused.

"HE'S RUN OFF! HE'S TAKEN EVERYTHING HE COULD IN HIS ROOM AND LEFT! LOOK!"

You handed L the note and he read it over, jumping up and running down to B's room to see for himself. You followed him in a panic.

L looked around B's room and it was obvious he snuck out at night. How he did was unknown, there were staff watching the halls and fence after what happened to A.

"No, no no no no no... I can't lose another successor, I can't!"

You grabbed his arm and ran down the halls, bursting into Wataris office.

"What's the matter?" He asked, notching your panic.

"B's gone!" You exclaimed, handing him the note.

Everything started to become a blur after that, the adults looked through his room and ends up having to contact the police.

That's was the catch. When B was bought to the orphanage, he didn't have a name, so it was next to impossible to identify him that way as he could just say his name was something else and there'd be no way to look into it more. The police had nothing to go off but appearance. No one had any idea what he was doing. You knew A's death had something to do with it, something in him snapped when A died, A was his only source of sanity. The police made that connection too.