6.

_______________________

A Night with the King.

How beautiful the word 'soulmate' is. Just as beautiful as finding one in your lifetime. And, it also makes a great pick-up line - especially in the Joseon era. Taehyung couldn't agree more.
But still, this was not the time or the kind of situation for fluff.

Minister Bae looked flabbergasted. His eyes shifted back and forth from the King and Taehyung, trying his best to comprehend the word that had just been spoken.

Quickly, Taehyung let out a chuckle. "See. I am his mate. His best friend."

Minister Bae remained silent.

"Well, here's a thought, why don't you go and let the King and his friend be, hmm?" Taehyung said.

Minister Bae glanced at the King, hoping for his approval to let him stay.

"Leave." The King said coldly.

"Yes, Your Majesty." Minister Bae uttered reluctantly through gritted teeth. With fists clenched tight, he bowed to the King and turned to leave. Before going away, he shot a disgusted look at Taehyung.

The door closed behind them.

"What do you want?" The King asked.

"I brought you your meal." He smiled, setting down the bed table in front of the King. He started taking the lids off the dishes and waited eagerly for the King to eat.

The King let out a faint breath of air, picked up his chopsticks and ate some rice and vegetables.

"Is it good?" Taehyung asked smiling.

"Did you make this?"

"Unfortunately, no."

"Then, it's good."

Taehyung rolled his eyes at the King in annoyance. He watched the King take a bite of the chicken piece and couldn't help but say, "That is the chicken that I caught. Is it yummy?"

The King didn't answer.

"Ah. Your Majesty, you are such a bore. I come all the way here by pulling tricks to meet you, and you don't even want to talk to me."

No reaction.

"Look at me, hmm, Your Majesty."

The King remained indifferent.

"Are you sad?" Taehyung asked bluntly with arms crossed across his chest. His patience declining.

"Why do you say that?"

"I don't know, maybe because of how you're treating me." He said sarcastically. "Look. I am sorry, okay. I will not try to leave, ever again."

"You are not sincere."

"Ugh! So, I tried to escape, what's the big deal? You'll have one less servant to worry about. But you...You are acting as if I stole your heart and was going to run away with it!"

This time, the King glanced up at him. Taehyung's heart started throbbing as he stared into those liquid dark eyes.

"How do you know?" The King said. His voice as cold as ice.

"What?"

The King frowned. "Are you unhappy here...in the palace...with me?"

"Yes."

The King shifted his gaze away. His face showing his immense hatred for the reply he had just received.

Taehyung clenched his fists. He bit his lower lip in anger as he glared at the King.