18.

___________________________

Right where you left me.

Jeon Jungkook had never thought that a day would come where everything he ever cared about would slip through his fingers. How unfortunate.
One moment, he was looking forward to meeting Taehyung; and, the next, there was a jade scroll in his hands.

And, all hell broke loose.

The day had been bright with a cloudless blue sky as the sun shone at its highest. Jungkook was disheartened about leaving Taehyung behind, but he had a job to do.

He entered the court. But, his mood started turning sour at every passing hour because the session kept getting prolonged for some reason.

Soon, dusk arrived. The sky had turned a mix of orange and pink pastel colors. Grey clouds started gathering while the sun started to set in the horizon.

'It's starting to get dark.' He thought. His chin resting on one hand. 'I wonder what he's doing.'

He glanced at the ministers who were arguing among themselves.

The session was always the same. He would listen to the piling complaints from the people, and solve their problems. He would hear the ministers taunt each other. And if they weren't arguing, he would hear the dreaded question arise - the one involving marriage and the goal of producing heirs.

The argument stopped, and one of the ministers brought up the question yet once again.

Sigh.

"I have no intention of getting married." Jungkook said sternly.

"Your Majesty, please think about it. We are urging you to take a wife for the sake of the country. A kingdom with no heir is bound to get attacked by enemy forces." Minister Choi informed, worriedly.

"Please consider it, Your Majesty." The rest of the ministers said in unison as they bowed their heads.

"If you wish, Your Majesty, I can make a list having all the names of noble ladies from good households who would gladly marry you. All you have to do is choose one." Minister Hyun said considerably.

Minister Bae shot him a deathly glare. "Your Majesty deserves the most beautiful girl in the country. Someone who's perfect at everything she does. Not just some ordinary pretty lady."

Minister Gong laughed mockingly. With a sarcastic smile, he muttered, "Surely you don't mean your daughter."

Minister Bae narrowed his eyes at the young man. "And what if I am?"

"SILENCE!" Jungkook ordered, slamming his fist hard on the armrest of the golden throne. Immediately, the whole court went quiet.

"The court is over." Jungkook announced. He stood up and stepped down the raised platform.

The ministers knelt down on the floor, bowing their heads.

Whew. He was able to get out of it. But for how long?

As Jungkook left the court, his eunuchs followed swiftly behind him. Though the sun was gone, one of them still held a parasol over his head.

"You don't have to do that." Jungkook said, staring at him

The stone-cold eyes and stern voice of his made the young eunuch burst into tears. He fell on his knees and pleaded, "I'm sorry, Your Majesty! Please forgive my insolence!"

The other eunuchs watched, terrified.

"Stop begging! What I meant was, look, the sun is gone, right?" Jungkook asked pointing to the sky.