kaz brekker x healer!reader

word count: 3,670
type: fluff with a pinch of angst
warnings: blood, like one cuss word, and usually crows shenanigans
pronouns used: she/they

——

the streets of ketterdam were loud and full of life. like usual.

people were in costumes and expensive clothes. others were in ordinairy clothes. some were in uniforms and others were in rags. ketterdam seemed to be a place that attracted everyone.

amongst those, i slipped through the crowd. i wanted a drink, a good conversation, and if i was lucky, a job.

i had worked small bartending jobs and the occasional help of a small heist, but other than that i had no job. i didn't want to test my luck in a brothel, so i resorted to slipping into casinos to look for jobs.

i walked into the closest one. above the door, a large metal crow hung, watching over the gambling den. the crow club.

i walked in, observing the usual chaos found in a place like this.

i walked over to the bar and sat down. i ordered a drink and downed it, turning to observe the rest of the building.

people were gambling and talking and laughing. i looked around until i spotted someone familiar.

i smiled. nina. i had worked at a bakery for a short time, where i became friends with a waffle-addicted nina zenik. we would talk, and i let her stay after hours to eat the left over waffles.

i walked over to the woman. she looked up and smiled brightly when she saw me.

"y/n!" she said excitedly, standing up and pulling me in a bone-crushing hug.

"hello, nina," i say through a small fit of laughter.

nina released me and turned to her table. 4 people were seated around the table. a zemini man had his arm around another boy, while another woman was sitting with a knife in front of her. the last one looked like matthias, the boy nina constantly talked about.

"everyone, this is y/n. they used to work at the bakery down the street. she's really the sweetest," nina said, introducing me.

i waved to them, taking in a distinct feature of each person so i could remember their faces.

"i'm jesper," said the zemini boy. he grinned widely then turned the other boy. "and this is wylan," jesper said. wylan smiled shyly and waved, blushing softly.

"i'm inej ghafa," introduced the girl with the knife. despite the weapon in her hand, she smiled kindly.

"matthias helvar," said the last one.

nina smiled. "come have a drink with us. i'm sure they all wouldn't mind."

"why not?" i said.

jesper cheered as wylan only rolled his eyes.

——

after many rounds of drinks, only a few other people were left in the club. i had become well acquainted with the small group. they were all very interesting people.

"well, this has been fun," nina said, standing up, "but i think i'll turn in for the night. kaz might kill us all if we stay up any later."

"who's kaz?" i ask.

jesper snickers. "you should meet kazzle dazzle next time. i'm sure he would love you," he says, slurring his words slightly.

inej laughs. "i'm sure he would," she said.