regulus black x reader

word count: 2,087
type: sad fluff
warnings: grief, death, sad shit
a/n: umm kinda inspired by a tiktok and feel better by penelope scott

——

"y/n, what on earth are you doing?"

"cleaning," i respond, dusting off a book and placing it in its spot in the shelf.

"you have magic for a reason. you can just wave your wand, and this'll all be done for you," sirius says, leaning against the door frame of the room is was cleaning.

"well, i'm also going through everything," i say, turning to him. "i don't want someone to come and here and take some fancy ring or something. i want to do it first."

sirius chuckles to himself, shifting so that he's simply hovering in the doorway. "well, lunch will be ready in a few minutes. come down whenever you're finished with... this," he says, walking off after his announcement.

i turn back to the dusty stack of books. "a bit of magic never hurt anyone," i say to myself, pulling my wand out of my pocket.

i lift the stack of books, using magic to shake the dust off of each of them before placing them on the shelf.

right before i was about to put up the last book, i shook the book and a piece of parchment fell from between the pages.

i walked over to the book, holding it in my hands while i kneeled down to inspect the paper.

"y/n! lunch will get cold, and then all my skills will go to waste!" sirius yells from the kitchen.

my head snaps in the direction of his yelling. "i'll be down in a minute!" i yell back.

i pick up the parchment, stuffing it between two pages of the book in my hand. i flip the book over, scanning the book cover.

pride and prejudice.

i place the book on the shelf, walking out the room and down stairs to join sirius.

"finally!" he says, smiling proudly when i sit at the table with him. "now eat. and tell me what you think, but leave out all the bad stuff if you love me."

——

i hadn't gone back to read the parchment before midnight.

i had simply forgotten about it: found other things to do, helped sirius with something, responded to letters.

once i finally snuck back to the old room, i scanned the shelf for pride and prejudice, plucking it from the shelf and flipping through the pages.

i slide down to the floor, searching for the paper. once i find the parchment wedged between two pages, i pull it out, shutting the book and placing it on the ground beside me.

the first thing i notice is my own my name, written elegantly in black ink on the outside of the folded paper. i open it up, revealing a letter written in old black ink.

the handwriting was familiar, but i couldn't quite place my finger in it. it was flowy and elegant, a familiar pattern. then it hit me. regulus.

i began to read the letter.

my dearest y/n,

by the time you read this, i'll most likely be gone. it may be a few days or many years, but i don't expect to be around when you read this.

i just wanted to say my final goodbyes to you. i know i probably left suddenly, but it was for good reason. if i had told you of my whereabouts, you would've been in a serious amount of danger.