kaz brekker x reader

word count: 1,400
type: sad fluff? (idk how to describe it)
warnings: blood, fighting, death, alcohol(?), umm sad
pronouns used: she/they
a/n: i came up with this idea in the confines of the whole thing kind of centered around shifting. like what if you scripted that you couldn't die but sustained a deadly injury? ik i used big words but whatever. you can imagine whatever you want.

——

the heist had gone wrong in almost every imaginable way.

inej had fallen and cut her leg, leaving her vulnerable. jesper had lost one of his revolvers for half the mission. kaz had been cornered 2 times. and i had almost been kidnapped by some asshats.

jesper and inej had made it to the getaway carriage while kaz and i were still running. we were running through an alley that was situated underneath a bridge, and my legs were killing me.

i could hear people yelling behind us, and i knew what i had to do.

"kaz, i need you to run all the way to the carriage. i'll distract them," i say, stopping halfway through the length of the tunnel.

kaz stops, staring at me. "i'm not-"

"kaz, i'll be fine. i promise," i reassure.

"y/n, you're an investment. i can't risk leaving-"

"you are much more valuable than me, kaz," i say. "you can't be replaced. i can."

kaz's face softens. "y/n-"

"kaz, they're coming. please go," i say, my voice cracking.

i can hear kaz's shaky breathing until he starts to walk off. "i'm coming back for you."

i nod. "okay," i say, a sad smile covering my face.

it only takes a minute or so for the men to catch up to where i was.

"who are you?" one of them spits out.

"i'm the one who stole your shit," i spit back, turning so i faced them.

one of them laughed. "miss, you're not capable of that. who are you?"

"i don't like to repeat myself," i say, my hand traveling to my back to feel around for the knife i had there.

"i don't either. now answer the question," he repeats.

"i'm the one who will kill you," i say, pulling the dagger from its holster. i swing the blade against the man's throat, causing him to fall to the ground with his hand pressed to his neck.

the 4 men left began to charge at me. i successfully fought 3 of them off. the last one knocked the knife from my hand and before i could reach for another, i felt a sharp pain in my torso.

i looked down. there was it: a sharp dagger pressed into my stomach. my hand moved to the wound, pressing it. when i pulled my fingers away, i could see the blood.

i looked back at the man.

he wore a shit-eating grin, his bruised face full of pride. "bye-bye," he says darkly, pulling the blade from my stomach.

i fall to the ground, the blood spilling from the wound causing my clothes to darken.

"y/n!" i hear someone yell. i heat shots fire and then something fall to the ground, but i can't focus because of the pain in my stomach.

i hear someone approach before they kneel down.

"y/n. y/n. look at me. please," i hear kaz say.