james potter x reader

word count: 884
type: fluff
warnings: umm thighs?
a/n: i saw this really cute tiktok about what james would say of you told him he was pretty and one thing led to another and this is the final product.

——

"y/n/n, my love!"

"morning to you, too, james."

james slid into the seat next to me, the other 3/4 of the marauders sitting across from us.

"today's a lovely day, don't you think?" he asks, a huge smile plastered on his face.

"erm, i guess so," i say.

i could hear remus and sirius trying to contain their laughter.

"y'know, today would be the perfect day to draw," james says.

"you could draw any day you wanted, james."

"well, could i draw on your thigh today?"

sirius and remus didn't even try to hide their laughter.

"i- what?"

"could i draw- or i guess write on your thigh?"

"why would you do that?"

"because of the weather!"

at this point, remus and sirius were howling with laughter. peter, who had been eating the entire time, even began to laugh.

"james, no," i say, gathering my things and standing up.

"oh, come on!" he calls as i walk away. "the sun is out! it's a beautiful day to draw!"

i walk off. that twat must be mental.

——

"psssst. pssst. psssssssst."

"what do you want, james?" i whisper, turning to the boy behind me.

he twirls his quill around in his hand, his eyes flicking between the quill and me.

"no," i say.

"oh, come on! it won't even be that big, and you can wash it off as soon as you get to your dorm," james whines.

"james, no!" i whisper.

"you're no fun," james huffs, leaning back in his chair.

i don't even have to look to know sirius and remus are snickering to themselves.

——

james was standing by a window, watching the trees outside shift in the wind. the sun hit his pace perfectly, and as much as i hate to admit it, he looked bloody good.

"you're pretty," i blurt out, almost immediately regretting it.

"i'm sorry?" james says, turning to me with a raised eyebrow and a ghost of a grin. "what did you say?"

"i didn't say anything," i lie, walking over to the couch and sitting down.

james plops down right next to me. "that was a rhetorical question," he says. "you think i'm pretty?"

"i thought you looked pretty so i said that."

"well, you're pretty, too, darling."

i smile, a blush probably settled on my face.

"right now would probably be a bad time to ask if o could draw on your thigh, wouldn't it?"

i sigh. "i don't know, potter. why don't you try?"

"can i pretty please draw on your thigh?"

i sigh again, throwing my head back and laughing a bit. "fine."

"fine?"

"yes, fine. go find a pen or something."

james quickly scrambles off the couch and up to his dorm room, no doubt looking for a pen.

i shake my head, laughing at the boy.

he soon comes back. "now, this is padfoot's eyeliner or something, but i'm sure he wouldn't mind given the cause," james says, popping the lid off. "and this way you can wash it off whenever you want."

i scoot towards james, resting my head on his shoulder as he starts to doodle on my thigh.

the drawings vary from stars to dogs to wands to flowers. when he's practically filled my leg with doodles, he moves the eyeliner to the my right thigh, writing out something.

"are you writing your own name on my thigh?" i ask.

"yes," james says, drawing half a heart next to his name. he hands me the eyeliner, a smile on his face.

"can you finish the heart?"

i sigh, a playful smile still on my face as i finish the heart he started.

i have him the eyeliner back, allowing him to put the cap back on it, before looking at his art with a large smile.

"this is great," he says, a giddy laugh escaping his lips.

"are we dating?" i ask.

james turns to me with furrowed eyebrows. "what?"

"well, you always flirt with me. we draw hearts on stuff for each other all the time. we both hug and hold hands and sappy shit like that. i mean, for godric's sakes, you just wrote your name on my thigh with a little heart next to it."

james looks at me with a bit of a shocked expression.

"i also really want to kiss you right now, and i don't think i should do that if we're not dating."

james smirks. "if i say we're dating, are you going to kiss me?"

i roll my eyes. "i don't know. it depends on how you say it."

"well, if you're okay with it, then we are dating."

"good," i say, my hands going to the sides of his face to pull him into a kiss.

i can feel him smiling as he rests his hands on my thighs, the ink probably getting on his hands as it might not have fully dried.

"hey, prongs. have you seen my-"

james and i both break away to find sirius standing at the foot of the stairs, an astonished and thrilled look on his face.

he quickly turns around, running back up the stairs. "MOONY! THEY FINALLY KISSED!"

i laughed, resting my head on james' forehead as he muttered something about a no good dog.

i'm in deep, aren't i?