[CHAPTER 10]

Naruto managed to reach the clearing moments before his pursuers. They were still far but he could clearly hear their conversation. 

"The newcomer is quite the fool."

"Overconfident and impulsive, the worst combo really."

"Bet he didn't even get the chance to fight back."

"If he's that weak then this serves as his last trial, he isn't worthy to be one of us."

All the voices that flooded his mind had a shared aspect: they can't be trusted. Even when speaking such simple words Naruto could tell how deceitful the voices owners were. 

The blonde sensed as the 4 chakra signatures formed a square around him. If they were talking about the man thing that had attacked Naruto earlier then could they be the same creature he was?

It was all confirmed when they attacked. 

Unlike the encounter with the 'newcomer', these creatures charged silently and in an organized manner. Each one was more powerful than the one who attacked before, faster and smarter too. They were in control.

Naruto didn't like that. 

There were many combination attacks thrown at him like a fire tornado made from a fire jutsu and a wind jutsu. These things trusted each other, without even saying a word they were coordinating such perfect attacks. Nonetheless, Naruto weaved and dodged everything coming his way. The blonde held back from any counterattacks, he wanted to understand his opponents a little better first. As far as he could tell they weren't giving it their all... they were holding back, maybe for the same reason Naruto was. 

You'll tire yourself out if you keep running away. The kyubi scoffed. Are you finally too scared to fight back?

Shut up fox. You hear my thoughts, you know what I'm doing is anything but running. Naruto smirked. I just needed time to find their weak spots. Even a group so perfect crumbles with a little bit of pressure. 

Naruto put his hands together and shouted "Shadow clone jutsu!"

8 clones appeared in the tree branches surrounding Naruto.

 "I need 4 of you to go attack those things." Naruto said as he sat down. "The other 4 stay with me for a minute."

4 clones disappeared in a flicker only to reappear in front of each of the creatures, but it was as if the beings knew this would happen.

"As I expected, they can read our minds just like the one before." Naruto said with a hand on his chin. "Well there's no way to tell those clones about this, they'll disappear if they don't figure it out soon but oh well." Naruto turned to the remaining clones. "Keep your mind blank, think of anything other than your next move. Fight on instinct and fight from the shadows, cause havoc within the little dream team."

The last 4 clones disapeared and weren't seen again. Naruto had learned how to conceal his chakra signatures so now there was no way these clones would be caught.

His plan worked perfectly. The creatures thought that the 4 clones attacking them was a distraction for the real Naruto to attack but they were actually the distraction for the 4 hidden clones. They would redirect the creature's attacks to their own comrades, a few kunais were sent flying in the direction of the attackers, and they would trip them up. The clones managed to break the trust they had with each other and the trust they had in themselves. The 'dream team' was too busy fighting themselves to pay attention to the real threat. 

The remaining clones, except for one, were released as Naruto stood up and jump down to the ground. 

"Foxes don't trust each other. That's why they don't hunt in packs." Naruto said while he started the final attack on the angered things. His voice caught their attention, causing all of them to whip their heads down towards him. "You all are foxes, right? It would be the only reasonable explanation for attacking me. You are the foxes I expected correct?"