[CHAPTER 24]

"Gah! What the-?" Kankuro'a hand began to bleed after a sharp pain shot through his skin.

Sakura was released from the sand ninja's invisible grasp.The kunoichi fell to the floor and immediately ran behind the Uchiha.

Kankuro looked up from his hand, his eyes giving Sasuke a death glare. Sakura gripped harder onto Sasuke's shirt but he was fine... he had seen so much worse, a glare that brings pain a thousand fold.

"You little bi-" Kankuro began to say.

"Hey!" Naruto yelled, seemingly unshaken and uninterested in whatever was happening between the two shinobi. "Hey you! Behind the tree! Are you spying on us?"

The sand shinobi turned around, surprised that Naruto had sensed someone's presence, as they thought they were alone.

"I'm not here to spy on you." A dull, raspy voice said. "I'm simply here to stop this idiot from starting conflict in a foreign village."

You sense the chakra right? Naruto thought.

It's a tailed beast for sure. The nine tails said. Feels like that scum one tails.

"Well it doesn't seem like you're doing such a good job." The Uzumaki disappeared and seemed to materialize onto the tree branch on the opposite side of the spy.

He had red hair and dark eyes. His complexion seemed unhealthily pale, despite the tanned skin of the other sand ninja. The boy carried a huge gourd, nearly bigger than his upper body. He seemed tired and unfocused, but there was still a strange feeling that he gave off. It was too similar to the feeling Naruto gave off when fighting: insanity.

"They can have their fun." The red head said. "Had he taken it any further I would've stepped in."

"G-gaara." His teammates, Naruto assumed, looked shocked. Had he been there this entire time? They thought.

"I expected this behavior from Kankuro, but I'm disappointed Temari." Gaara said in a low voice. "You know how delicate our situation is right now."

"Yes sir!" Temari said, her head slightly bowed. "I'm sorry."

"I'll overlook it just this once." Gaara turned to Naruto on the other side of the tree, "We'll be leaving now."

Sand escaped from the gourd, it swirled in from the dirt road and formed a hand around Kankuro. Gaara jumped down from the tree and walked to his team, Temari falling behind him to follow his lead. They didn't stop, they didn't apologize, they didn't even look back to the leaf ninja, there was just a question:

"What's your name?" The red head asked to no one in particular.

"Sask-" The black haired boy spoke up.

"Not you." Gaara cut him off, clearly implying who the question was for.

"Naruto Uzumaki."

(Sand Shinobi)

"Gaara why did you ask for his name?" Kankuro asked from his floating sand prison.

"Yeah he barely did anything." Temari added.

"I don't have an obligation to tell you." Gaara responded.

The siblings shut their mouths, not wanting to upset their little brother any further.

They are right though. Gaara thought. I was planning on asking the kid who threw the rock, he caught my attention first but the other one... He masked his presence and even when in plain sight I completely overlooked him. The moment he knew I was there, the moment he stood on the branch across from me I sensed such a dark feeling. I didn't just feel his chakra, I felt an evil even worse than the evil in my dreams. In truth I would've let Kankuro have his fun but we needed to get out of there, it wasn't the right place or time.

"Does Gaara seem paler than usual?" Temari whispered to his floating brother.

"I wouldn't know, I can't see him from back here." Kankuro whispered back.

(Leaf Shinobi)

"Oh Sasuke! Thank you for saving me!" Sakura said as she hugged him from behind.

Sasuke said nothing. He was pissed that his identity didn't matter to the red haired kid, he did all the work! Why was Naruto so important all of a sudden?

The Uchiha pried Sakura's arms off of him and left for the training fields. He wasn't planning on being held at the hospital so long, there was too much training lost.

I'll have to push my limits just to catch up with Naruto. Sasuke scowled. That's so pitiful.

Naruto, on the other hand, was heading to Ichiraku ramen shop.

It's been a while since I paid them a visit. Naruto thought. And with all the money I made on the mission I have more than enough to splurge on some different dishes this time.

Are you planning on making the foxes bring you ninja tools and food? It's not like they paid you THAT much for the mission. The nine tails said.

Whatever it takes for my ramen. Naruto thought.

"Hi! Did you miss me old man?" The Uzumaki burst through the curtain and took a seat in one of the stools.

"Naruto! It's been a while!" The old man said with a smile. "How's my best customer doing? Can I get you a water?"

"I'm great... and a water would be great too, thanks!" The Uzumaki said with a smile.

"N-Naruto? H-hi." A meek voice said, just a few seats away from him.

Naruto turned his head, not actually realizing anyone else was there.

"HINATA!" Naruto's face flushed from embarrassment. How did I not sense or even realize she was sitting there?!

Her chakra network is completely stalled. The kyubi observed. She blocked her presence even better than you. Her quiet and unnoticeable nature also helped conceal her.

That doesn't change anything though! Naruto exclaimed. I usually notice her despite how quiet she is!

"Hinata how are you?" Naruto asked, hoping to relieve the awkward atmosphere of the ramen shop.

"I'm okay, what about you Naruto?" The girl asked back. Hinata you are such an idiot! You literally just heard him tell Teuchi he was doing great. This is so embarrassing.

"I'm doing fine. I just came here to recharge before going out to the training fields." Naruto said with an uneasy smile.

"Really? I was doing the same." Hinata blushed. "I was going to meet with brother Neji. Would you like to come with me?"

Naruto went red, but this time not out of embarrassment. "I would love to."

OH MY GOD. They both thought. IT'S LIKE A DATE.

This is so corny. The nine tails cringed.