Chapter Twenty Nine

Sandra Bullock

There were sirens coming. It all happened so fast. I was there, watching and absorbing every single scene flashing through my very eyes. I didn't even notice that Edith was hugging my legs and the poor kid was also watching the whole thing. I waa  so disoriented. I could not hear her cries, nor the fast beating of my own heart. There were a lot of people coming; they were all chattering, but I heard nothing except the loud deafening sounds of the siren. I was approached by a paramedic and she gave me a smile. I stood there, still paralyzed, still not at my best self. She asked for Edith and I didn't answer. But I saw that she carried Edith towards the car. Yellow lines were placed on my property and as I stood there on my place, it was when I realized I was not watching a movie, it was the reality. My heart wrenched and my stomach twisted as I saw the body of my fiancé on the stroller.

I couldn't see her face for it was covered with blood. She was very pale and her alabaster skin wasn't glowing anymore. Her maxi brown dress  turned into red and the bracelet that I gave her was hanging on her wrist, covered in blood too, fresh blood dripping from it and I painfully watched as every drop fell into the pavement. My whole life flashed before me and I collapsed. My knees kissed the cold hard ground, but I felt none at all. I knew I shouted and there were tears coming out, but I didn't hear my voice. It was like I was in a dream - so helpless, that no matter how hard I tried, I could not do what I wanted. A woman approached me and helped me to stand, but I didn't. They were telling me things, but I couldn't understand a single thing. My lips wanted to ask what happened, but my mind could not form a coherent thought. All I knew was that the love of my life, the woman I was gonna marry was there inside the ambulance, lifeless. She's dead.

In a sweat drenched shirt, I arrived at the hospital. Two people put me inside the ambulance and I didn't know, not until I arrived. I saw Cate's body being dragged inside and every passing second that I was watching it felt like my heart was being sliced into pieces. The happenings had sunk in successfully and even with a head splitting headache, I knew I had to wait. She was sent into a room and I had to wait outside - but what for? Should I wait for the doctor to tell me that she's dead, because I already knew it - for goddamn fucking sake, I was there and I saw it, she was dead. But still, there I was, trapped in the quitest and whitest hallway. There was no one around - it was just me, but evanescent muffled cries were heard. I heard about agony, sufferings, birth and death at the same time. I knew that in these tiny rooms lined in the hallway, some were enjoying the birth, and some were crying over the death of a loved one, and I, I knew that mine was the latter.

My knees trembled. The bench was too far from me and I didn't have the energy anymore so I chose to collapse and sat on the cold-tiled floor and there, I sobbed. How did it happen? It was almost perfect. We were okay. Everything was going into what was planned. I was about to marry her. We were just a minute away from our end game. Edith and Cate were just playing outside. What the fuck happened? The phone on my hand beeped, countless times, but I didn't have the energy to answer it. I knew that the news already broke around Hollywood and have been laid into tabloids already, but what broke me apart was the fact that I didn't know what really happened. I was just in the kitchen plotting my suprise for her, but it was me who got surprised the most.

I stood from the floor when a doctor came out. I knew that I had to embrace myself for the she's gone, but when I met the doctor by the door, what he told me made me cry even harder than I did.